+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

I am in the process of a new tank build, one where I am starting from scratch on my own, rather than my prior build which has been comprised of a parts list my LFS provided.

Seeking thoughts and impressions on the current market controllers. I am looking to try and limit the initial start up cost but have the ability to grow into one ecosystem rather than cobble together parts and pieces they effectively require multiple apps to monitor and manage.

The Like To Have list is:

Monitor: temp, PH, salinity, water level, ATO level and dosing reservoir levels

Control: dosing, ATO

Nice to have: control/monitor return pump, power heads, lighting, heaters but not an immediate needs.

Equipment I have for the new build:
  1. Sicce SDC 6.0
  2. BRS Titanium heaters with Helio Controller
  3. ReefBreeders Photon V2 Pro with their new Reef Nexus WiFi app
  4. Still in the market for new, controllable power head(s). Currently looking at the Gyre with their new Cloud Controller. Need a dosing pump, but prefer that it would plug-and-play with the controller selection as well.
  5. New tank is an Aquaforest OceanGuard. Build thread coming soon!
Currently Looking at:
  1. GHL ProfiLux 4 or 4e
  2. Hydros. Likely one of the starter kits with the power bar included.
  3. eKoral Pro - they’ve been on the market for a while now but having seen much traction. Currently found the US version available through a place in Nebraska and D US storefront. https://shop.ekoral.io/product/ekoral-pro-us-type/
Thoughts, experiences, wish they could do it differently advice are welcomed!

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods

JeffB418

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a Hydros Control X4 Pro Pack ($660) will get you the following:
- 8 AC outlets with power monitoring on each output
-- Put your helio controller on this, and use hydros as a safety shut off backup

Hydros x4 controller has 2 drive ports, 4 sense ports, 2 probe ports (pH/ORP), and 2 0-10V ports (1 in, 1 out).
- Sense ports: the starter pack comes with a temp sensor, so that will take up 1/4 ports and help you control your heater output and monitor temp. These ports are also used for flow sensors, optical sensors, leak sensors and more.
- Drive ports: used for dosing pumps, ato pumps, and other low power 12V devices
- 0-10V input port: this is a more DIY interface but the 1 input port has 4 discrete inputs. These can be used for float switches or door switches.
- Probe ports: the starter kit comes with 1 pH probe, leaving the other port open for ORP or a second pH probe.

You can also add on the ATO kit for $79, which includes 1 water level sensor (sense port) and 1ATO pump (drive port).

So with a X4 pro pack, and Hydros ATO kit, you would get the above, and still have 1 open probe port, 1 open drive port, and 2 open sense ports. You can add a dosing pump onto the drive port for another $59.

Salinity isn't available currently until the X10 is released later this year.

If you are interested in the new maxspect 300 cloud series pumps, they will work on the wave engines (WEV2 or WELE). So you could but 2 of the "pump only" units and put them on a Hydros Wave Engine LE and get integrated control.

Also if you are using sicce wifi pumps, Hydros does have plans to integrate with them at some point but no ETA on release.

OP
OP
RBuchetto

RBuchetto

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a Hydros Control X4 Pro Pack ($660) will get you the following:
- 8 AC outlets with power monitoring on each output
-- Put your helio controller on this, and use hydros as a safety shut off backup

Hydros x4 controller has 2 drive ports, 4 sense ports, 2 probe ports (pH/ORP), and 2 0-10V ports (1 in, 1 out).
- Sense ports: the starter pack comes with a temp sensor, so that will take up 1/4 ports and help you control your heater output and monitor temp. These ports are also used for flow sensors, optical sensors, leak sensors and more.
- Drive ports: used for dosing pumps, ato pumps, and other low power 12V devices
- 0-10V input port: this is a more DIY interface but the 1 input port has 4 discrete inputs. These can be used for float switches or door switches.
- Probe ports: the starter kit comes with 1 pH probe, leaving the other port open for ORP or a second pH probe.

You can also add on the ATO kit for $79, which includes 1 water level sensor (sense port) and 1ATO pump (drive port).

So with a X4 pro pack, and Hydros ATO kit, you would get the above, and still have 1 open probe port, 1 open drive port, and 2 open sense ports. You can add a dosing pump onto the drive port for another $59.

Salinity isn't available currently until the X10 is released later this year.

If you are interested in the new maxspect 300 cloud series pumps, they will work on the wave engines (WEV2 or WELE). So you could but 2 of the "pump only" units and put them on a Hydros Wave Engine LE and get integrated control.

Also if you are using sicce wifi pumps, Hydros does have plans to integrate with them at some point but no ETA on release.

much appreciated! I was on the Hydros site last night and came across the X10. It’s nice that it looks to integrate dosing pumps and sounds like it is worth the wait. To get started, I am looking possibly into the Hydros 4 starter on BRS with the smaller energy bar at $449 to help offset some of my initial costs and then add the ATO in. I’ll see about the Wave Engine as well to pull the power heads into the environment as well.

thanks!

Top Shelf Aquatics

JeffB418

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
much appreciated! I was on the Hydros site last night and came across the X10. It’s nice that it looks to integrate dosing pumps and sounds like it is worth the wait. To get started, I am looking possibly into the Hydros 4 starter on BRS with the smaller energy bar at $449 to help offset some of my initial costs and then add the ATO in. I’ll see about the Wave Engine as well to pull the power heads into the environment as well.

thanks!
Yeah the 4 outlet wifi bar def helps offset some cost but the XP8 is by far a better option for critical components like heaters (even with a secondary controller). With an XP8/X4 combo, you have a dedicated wire link between your temp sensor and heater relay. The power monitoring also is useful. It has alerted me fast to failed pumps and heaters.

OP
OP
RBuchetto

RBuchetto

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the 4 outlet wifi bar def helps offset some cost but the XP8 is by far a better option for critical components like heaters (even with a secondary controller). With an XP8/X4 combo, you have a dedicated wire link between your temp sensor and heater relay. The power monitoring also is useful. It has alerted me fast to failed pumps and heaters.

Ah, this is great to know! You may have swayed me to the X4 combo. I’ve found some feeling confused by the clarity in how some of the hydros components work with the various items, I know I have. I’d prefer to start off in the right direction and not end up over-buying or under-buying for the initial startup.

Top Shelf Aquatics

devocole

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two maxspect gyres on the hydros wave engine. The wave engine I highly recommend. The maxspect gyres are not made like they used to be. In the future I would be looking to a different brand for a gyre.

OP
OP
RBuchetto

RBuchetto

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two maxspect gyres on the hydros wave engine. The wave engine I highly recommend. The maxspect gyres are not made like they used to be. In the future I would be looking to a different brand for a gyre.

I’ve heard this about the maxspect as well. Hoping the cloud editions are an improvement and not a step backwards as they appear to add some directional baffle features in addition to the touchscreen controller. The redsea versions looked promising, but I’ve read recent reviews on BRS that were less than ideal. CoralVue/Icecap are basically the same and every similar to the maxspect products.

I’d be curious to know who else makes a gyre that is worth the prices. It just seems like nothing lasts anymore!

Coach v

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have recent experience with Hydros and I really like it. I picked up a used x4 with 3 wifi power strips, some sensors and I picked up a ato pump. Everything was easy to setup and has worked flawlessly. I have a dosing pump on the way to dose limewater.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

telegraham

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an eKoral, the Hydros Control 2, two Apex (three, but I'm actively using the old Jr and a newer EL), two GHL controllers (P4 and Mini), a DOS (that has since been converted to GHL control), the Sky, several GHL four head dosers, the KHD, the IOND (not connected, but worked great when connected), two Mitras 7206, and the new GHL Maxi (still in its box). Before the others, I used a ReefKeeper.

You should know that I am a GHL fanboy, so filter accordingly. I also copied this from another thread. It's here. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/j...or-something-else-thread.951013/post-10825636

I do not have the GHL connectivity issues that others experienced. I know they exist, and I've asked others to send me their devices so I can experience that myself, but that's not yet happened. My P4 and lights are connected via WiFi. The reliability of all of the GHL equipment has been great, but I don't have anywhere near enough time to speak to the IOND's reliability. The GHL power bars are like my four-outlet Neptune unit. Bulletproof. Of the two Powerbar 6 units in use, one has a lot of heater control cycles on it. They are solid. The four head dosers use friction rollers, that's not my preferred head design, but as long as you use them for other than large liquid movement, the heads last quite a while. No water changing with them. I maintain a bag of pump head spares just in case. The DOS and original Maxi shared motors and pump heads. GHL moved away from that design when Neptune grabbed a supply agreement with Honlite, hence the new Maxi release. I can say that the DOS is much quieter when driven by a GHL circuit board. The steppers don't sing under GHL control.

I'll occasionally have to reset the power to the ApexEL to reconnect it to WiFi. It's generally solid, but it does drop off. The old Apex Jr is hardwired and is indestructible. It always works. It never drops its connection. As for the EB832s, I repair, for free, users' EB832s that have suffered T/R failures. That's a simple internal power supply swap that Neptune expects users to fund. I've been sent one of the newer EB832s to repair, it did have the better Meanwell T/R, but it was fried. It failed in a way that allowed AC power to enter the 12VDC circuit. I think that's an outlier. The newer EBs seem solid.

As for software, I lean GHL. I find it easier to use over Neptune, but I've already self-identified my GHLness.

Data...GHL is by far the winner here. Three years worth of data is easily accessible via the app/web. Neptune gives you three months. Hydros gives you one year.

The Trident uses a sampling method similar to Hanna's, you can get reagents from Neptune, but ABC Reagents sells the same reagents for less. Substantially less if you buy the dry mix from ABC. GHL and Focustronic use essentially the same process. The standalone GHL KHD is a little less expensive, and consumables will cost the same over time.

eKoral is a no in my book. Nice hardware, and easy to use software, but it's not in the same class as GHL or Neptune. I have had to reset it several times.

This will ruffle feathers, but I feel the same way about Hydros. CV, like eKoral, is using a 3rd party's WiFi power bar, and connection issues are a thing for me (but not lately). For others, it works perfectly. YMMV. I've not used other collective devices, as I've not jumped into the ecosystem beyond the Control 2 and WiFi devices. I personally know others who use the XP8 and love that bar.

Simply put, GHL has consistently been tops in reliability and unmatched data availability. I think you'll find the same from polls here on R2R.

Neptune

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Premium Algae Scrubbers from Turbo's Aquatics!
Back