The Ultimate Source for Copepod Diversity: LIVE ROCK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Companies selling copepods are extremely common in Europe and the US and I sometimes find myself wondering why. They certainly serve an important purpose, but Ive always had to scratch my head and wonder why theyre such a popular product on the own when buying live rock either maricultured or wild collected would introduce a wider variety of species than buying bottles of 5 species at most. The price of buying the copepods separately would almost cover the cost of the live rock but add fewer species, which appears to be a big way companies try to entice customers (mixed copepod species sold in bottles or bags seem to sell for even higher prices). Wouldnt it make more sense to buy live rock and introduce many species without buying them separately? Dose phytoplankton for a week or two and your tank will be crawling.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wondered that myself but I imagine an aquarist may feel more certain that there are copepods if they buy some.

Last edited:
OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wondered that myself but I imagine an aquarist may feel more certain that there are copepods if they but some.
Thats probably the case...its a little ironic that people cant see bacteria in a bottle or on live rock, but the vast majority of people would agree that there are far more strains of bacteria on live rock than in bottled bacteria (even though bacteria cant be viewed with the naked eye with either method).

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copepods are only necessary if anything in the tank is dependent on them, saying that we can get a bag from local lfs for just 2 to 3 $.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copepods are only necessary if anything in the tank is dependent on them, saying that we can get a bag from local lfs for just 2 to 3 $.
Ok, I guess that can be said about almost anything...spending money on light is a total waste if you keep only NPS corals...

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back