The quest for the perfect used tank! Is this it?

Pennywise the Salty Guy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been on a quest to find my perfect entry point into the hobby. This set up is being sold for $300. Please let me know what you think!

“Comes with:
-Octo Classic 2000 (Protein skimmer/filter)
-ATC Portable Refractometer (Reads salinity levels of water)
-Current Ramp Timer Pro Light Bar (UV & LED with multiple settings)
-Ebo Jager Water Heater
-Fan for making current
-Magnetic glass cleaner
-New bag of sand and salt
-Lots of chemicals for ph, fish and reef health, along with calcium rocks for calcium levels and reef growth
-Two 5 gallon buckets full of ocean rocks and lots of other tank decorations
-Water siphon, net, and three 5 gallon buckets, along with three 5 gallon water containers.”

IMG_5885.png
IMG_5886.png

CasperOe

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems reasonable :) The price seems fair, but only you know what the perfect setup is- it all depends on what you're looking for, your expectations- and how much you are willing to spend! ;)

Buy as big as you can the first time- the upgrade factor is a killer in this game :D you end up spending twice the amount in the long run.

Upvote 0

RocketEngineer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on my experience, I vote no. While the equipment looks like a good deal, the tank appears to be a 55g which is poor choice due to being too narrow for its height. This means it’s hard to aquascape right from the beginning. Add to that all the equipment being in the tank, you’re left with an even smaller space. From the look of the stand, it’s likely particle board panels which means adding any type of sump under the display would be almost impossible without dismantling the whole system.

What I see here is someone who made a poor choice and is leaving the hobby because of the impact of that poor choice. Don’t make the same mistake.

Upvote 0

A Young reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote no, the dimensions are quite tough to work with unless if it’s intended to be used as a FOWLR. At the beginning you might be happy but as you progress and step up your game you will realise that this setup is impractical and makes your life harder than it already is.

Upvote 0

Dbichler

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find way better. That is a tall skinny tank saltwater is easier short and fat. For a first tank I really like suggesting 40 or 60 breeders. Used you probably won’t find a 60 but they’re not overly priced new. Then find all the equipment used.

Upvote 0

flyingscampi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first reef setup had no sump and I'd never do it again, even with a limited budget. A sump makes the tank far easier to maintain and more attractive without equipment hanging off of it.

Unless you have very long arms, a tall narrow reef tank will add frustration.

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Vivid
Back