The Other Way to Run a Reef Tank (no Quarantine)

BRS
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't say he should do it, I said

Let the Nay Sayers say Nay. :D

So they can say Nay.

I am also not disagreeing, a bunch of metals is bad. A tiny bit of them "may" be good or at least, not a bad thing.
No one knows, but I personally would take mud from there. I would rather find a few nice porous rocks and shake them in a bucket of water just for the pods and bacteria. I know about the viruses and we all know, I don't care about those things as I have been doing that since I started my tank.
The mud I collect is from the Long Island Sound, also not a pristine coral reef. I have no idea if the bacteria lives but I do know the amphipods live as I still have some from 2 years ago. I didn't collect any this past summer because where I moved to, I can't find any. :D

Top Shelf Aquatics

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't say he should do it, I said, 'let the naysayers say nay

But @Paul B - what you actually said was "I say, Be a Man and collect that Mud. Let the Nay Sayers say Nay. :D"

So - to me - that implies that the people that say 'be careful' (the naysayers) are just silly worriers or something else (I was going to use a derogatory term - but I thought better of it:). Perhaps I misread your meaning - I just don't understand why you're recommending putting mud that might cause harm into a tank. When you yourself said that you dont know if the bacteria will survive or not,.

There are people on this site (many) who find a bit of rust on their tank and everyone is jumping in with recommendations for carbon, massive water changes, etc - I can't get my head around such widely divergent views. But - judging by the way the Seattle aquarium treats their water from Puget sound, I'm not sure I would be using it in my tank. (there is a reason they are spending millions of dollars using filtered purified water)

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know about the viruses and we all know, I don't care about those things as I have been doing that since I started my tank.

Thats what the Spanish said about smallpox when they arrived in Central America. The native population did not agree... A carribean reef fish will not have immunity to a potential virus (if it would survive) from a cold water climate.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don't understand why you're recommending putting mud that might cause harm into a tank. When you yourself said that you dont know if the bacteria will survive or not,.

It didn't harm my tank in almost 50 years. :D The pods will survive and I think that is more important than worrying about a minute amount of metals.
. A carribean reef fish will not have immunity to a potential virus (if it would survive) from a cold water climate.

The flounders, minnows, sea robins and baby stripped bass that I collect in the cold water Atlantic have never gotten sick in my tropical tank and I assume they were not immune from my tank parasites and viruses. I never lost one and I returned them to the sea or gave then to public aquariums. :cool:

Just my opinion of course.

So - to me - that implies that the people that say 'be careful' (the naysayers) are just silly worriers or something else

Too many people here do worry about the silliest of things. Especially the Nay sayers many of whom never added things from the sea so they really don't know. But I have been doing quite frequently that before many here were born so I can have an educated opinion on that. ;Smuggrin

Thats what the Spanish said about smallpox when they arrived in Central America. The native population did not agree..

Thats true, but if I was there, I would have gotten the native population immune before the Spanish got there and they would have then pushed the Spaniards out so they wouldn't have to eat Taco's. :rolleyes:

MnFish, I think you read too much into my posts. :D

soflmuddin

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Miami Seaquarium spends millions filtering their water and the water before filtration is better than the water in most of our tanks. The fact that some public aquariums spends millions on filtration is pointless to what we do in ours.

I totally agree with you.

Last edited:

sghera64

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It didn't harm my tank in almost 50 years. :D The pods will survive and I think that is more important than worrying about a minute amount of metals.

The flounders, minnows, sea robins and baby stripped bass that I collect in the cold water Atlantic have never gotten sick in my tropical tank and I assume they were not immune from my tank parasites and viruses. I never lost one and I returned them to the sea or gave then to public aquariums. :cool:

Too many people here do worry about the silliest of things. Especially the Nay sayers many of whom never added things from the sea so they really don't know. But I have been doing quite frequently that before many here were born so I can have an educated opinion on that. ;Smuggrin

Thats true, but if I was there, I would have gotten the native population immune before the Spanish got there and they would have then pushed the Spaniards out so they wouldn't have to eat Taco's. :rolleyes:

@Paul B:, we are closing in on 2000 posts and this thread is still hot. We’ll probably hit it this weekend. Did you see this coming?

Somehow I do feel you did warn us. [emoji2957]

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No - actually - I thought you brought up a very valid point - that the amount of 'stuff' he would be adding would be very small. I was serious about that.

I happen to go to Puget sound every year - and I just know how contaminated the 'mud' is there. There are areas in Puget sound - and in fact the resident killer whales there - that are considered almost like toxic waste dumps (i.e. when a whale dies and washes ashore - it is treated like a toxic contaminated area) - at least that's what I've been told.

Frankly - my guess is that the water around every big city is heavily contaminated with all sorts of 'stuff''.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Miami Seaquarium spends millions filtering their water and the water before filtration is better than the water in most of our tanks. The fact that some public aquariums spends millions on filtration is pointless to what we do in ours.

My point was pretty clear. If Public Aquariums filter their NSW - why shouldn't we - it has everything to do with what we're discussing.

The point being - if it was 'best' for the inhabitants 'not' to filter the water - public aquariums would save millions of dollars by not filtering the water. Yet they spend millions to do it .... why?

Especially given your statement above that the water before filtration is 'better' than most of our tanks (of course - since you have no clue what most of our tanks have - you don't know - but thats another discussion). I mean - you're basically saying that the filtration they do makes the water 'better' - or am I misunderstanding? (again)

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can I ask a perhaps stupid question? Why would you take cold water fish - and put them in a tropical tank in the first place? I mean - its like putting discus in a lake Malawi tank. They probably lived - but what is the point. Im not being critical - just curious.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree with you.

I didn't want to start this discussion and I told that to Humblefish as I knew there would be arguements.

My point was pretty clear. If Public Aquariums filter their NSW - why shouldn't we - it has everything to do with what we're discussing.

Maybe they don't know any better. I volunteer at the Riverhead Aquarium near my home on Long Island and I know they have this big truck that they use to collect water right near the aquarium in the Atlantic. I have not been there long enough to know what they do to the NSW but when I get a chance, I will ask the guy in charge. I am curious also. (I doubt they spend millions on filtration, they can't even afford to fix the water fountain in the lobby)

Can I ask a perhaps stupid question? Why would you take cold water fish - and put them in a tropical tank in the first place? I mean - its like putting discus in a lake Malawi tank. They probably lived - but what is the point. Im not being critical - just curious.

Simple question. I live right near where the Gulf Stream passes the south side of Long Island. It brings up warm water from the Gulf along with numerous tropical fish that I collect as do many people because they will die in the winter anyway. Thats als where the Aquarium here gets many of their fish. In the process I also collect cold water fish and some of them like baby sea robins are beautiful at that size so I put them in my tank until they get to big. Free beautiful fish. Why not?
I collected this beauty at about 1/2" long and kept him for a year. He got to big and I gave him to the NY Aquarium

https://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh270/urchsearch/boxfish007.jpg

I usually put those fish into a seperate tank as they would be to hard to catch in my reef and some of them, like sea robins would eat my fish.

atoll

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The point being - if it was 'best' for the inhabitants 'not' to filter the water - public aquariums would save millions of dollars by not filtering the water. Yet they spend millions to do it .... why?

Especially given your statement above that the water before filtration is 'better' than most of our tanks (of course - since you have no clue what most of our tanks have - you don't know - but thats another discussion). I mean - you're basically saying that the filtration they do makes the water 'better' - or am I misunderstanding? (again)
I know people who have spent thousands of pounds on their aquariums which are less successful than mine. Does excellent water quality (whatever that is) equal succes and disease free tanks? Not to my knowledge. Just what are these public aquariums filtering out? If its disease and parasites do their fish live long healthy lives? How many fish do they loose each year due to various health issues and do they publish their losses or hide them? We all know [email protected] way to a successful marine aquarium.

AquaCave Logo Banner

atoll

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know people who have spent thousands of pounds on their aquariums which are less successful than mine. Does excellent water quality (whatever that is) equal succes and disease free tanks? Not to my knowledge. Just what are these public aquariums filtering out? If its disease and parasites do their fish live long healthy lives? How many fish do they loose each year due to various health issues and do they publish their losses or hide them? We all know [email protected] way to a successful marine aquarium.
Not sure how that email address of a friend got into near the end of my post. Hmmm.

Top Shelf Aquatics

atoll

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone interested. The Shrimp Tank just notified me they have an Oxydator “W” in stock now. Too late for me I ordered one from Germany a while back.
Just the one?[emoji848]

Lasse

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't want to start this discussion and I told that to Humblefish as I knew there would be arguements.

Thank you for starting this discussion - and I think that you have notice that you have fellows doing the same worldwide. Inspired by your courage I have taken up another infected subject in an article - how to start a saltwater aquarium

One of the reasons to threath incomming natural water with methods that kill living organisms is not only to kill pathogens but to kill organisms that will settle in the pipes. That´s a major problem in large natural systems.

Sincerely Lasse

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My early oilfield experience was as a rig mechanic for Odeco on a moored drill ship that was off the coast of Nova Scotia in early winter. We were a rowdy bunch in those days. With a 28 day on 28 day off work schedule, crew change day was a big deal. Every man going home needed to be released by a replacement. Everybody on the ship at the end of their 28 day work hitch wanted to see their relief on the crew boat. So when a roughneck on the drill crew relief team mooned the crane operator as the personal basket lifted from deck of crew boat, when personnel basket landed on main deck, the crane operator washed down the offending roughneck with a saltwater firehouse at 35 degrees.

We were drilling core samples for a Canadian mining company whole tunnels went out to sea from the mainland. All around us were floats for lobster pots as we were in the back yard of the fishing fleet. For our steward we had an executive chef from an upscale resort and on Friday we eat lobster. Even the midnight crew had a lobster meal and as it turned out, I eat lobster for three meals that first Friday in Canada.

@Lasse
I was more than surprised seeing an attractive young lady that was well dressed with a cone head,
sucking the brains out of crawfish at a Swedish cray fish party.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

BSA
Back