The Other Way to Run a Reef Tank (no Quarantine)

BRS

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@soflmuddin

Touchdown for Natural Filtration. Stress kills 400% more fish than all pathogens combined.

The CEO of the largest shrimp farm in North America says that shrimp exposed to all pathogens increased production 400% when survival rates increased from 20% to 80%.

AmericanMaricultureTanksPonds.jpg
Robin Pearl
, Chief Executive Officer, received his Bachelor’s degree in Management from Florida Atlantic University. During his college days, he started a vending company that he sold and used proceeds to start OceanBoy Farms (OBF), a large shrimp farm in central Florida that’s no longer in business. After building OBF into the largest USA shrimp farm and largest organic shrimp farm in the world, he left and started several other companies, including PurigeN98, a nitrogen-tire-inflation-equipment manufacturer that he built into the USA’s largest supplier of these systems for the automotive industry. He subsequently started an energy monitoring company that combined low-cost hardware with an online management solution that allows individuals and companies to better manage and reduce their energy usage.

Video: For a five-minute of American Mariculture’s farm that shows its construction, greenhouses, equipment, labs, interiors, exteriors and on-site processing plant, Click Here.

Information: Robin Pearl, American Mariculture, Inc., 9703 Stringfellow Road, St. James City, Florida 33956, USA (phone 239-260-4720, email [email protected], webpage http://www.sunshrimp.com/index_files/contact.htm).

Source: iCrowdNewswire. American Mariculture. May 27, 2015.
Curious @Subsea Why is his company out of business (the shrimp farm). His methods are certainly not normal for most mariculture firms. Doesn't make him right - or wrong.

I dont consider this a 'touchdown' for natural filtration - because I have no clue what natural filtration is... (what is it??)

"The CEO of the largest shrimp farm in North America says that shrimp exposed to all pathogens increased production 400% when survival rates increased from 20% to 80%." - I think this is a typo - but how does the CEO (or the janitor) know whether shrimp were exposed to 'all pathogens' - how did they prove this. Or the other statistic? Im just curious. Its a nice building.

Nutramar Foods

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious @Subsea Why is his company out of business (the shrimp farm). His methods are certainly not normal for most mariculture firms. Doesn't make him right - or wrong.

I dont consider this a 'touchdown' for natural filtration - because I have no clue what natural filtration is... (what is it??)

"The CEO of the largest shrimp farm in North America says that shrimp exposed to all pathogens increased production 400% when survival rates increased from 20% to 80%." - I think this is a typo - but how does the CEO (or the janitor) know whether shrimp were exposed to 'all pathogens' - how did they prove this. Or the other statistic? Im just curious. Its a nice building.

@MnFish1
The semantics of natural filtration bore me when I talk with a skeptic of your caliber.

https://www.shrimpnews.com/FreeReportsFolder/The Shrimp List/UpdateDrSamochasNewBookSchedule.html

We operate one of the largest biofloc shrimp farms in North America. When done correctly, there is no question that bioflocs work. We have commercialized Dr. Samocha’s research, and we are proof that this is the way of the future. Without his research we would not exist. While it is true that there are only a few successful operations in North America, the technology is not at issue. Marketing, prices, feeds and other costs are not the issues either. The problem is the quality of suitable seedstock for biofloc shrimp farming.

The lack of high-quality seed supplies that are specifically selected for high-density, high-stress biofloc shrimp farming is by far the leading reason why North American (and I suspect other regions) biofloc shrimp farms struggle. While Dr. Samocha may not agree, in my opinion, he would be hard pressed to duplicate the record-setting, 7-to-9-kilogram-per-cubic-meter biofloc production levels he got in 2011-2013 using the currently available seedstock in the USA The seedstock is just not as good as it used to be.

After a couple of years of increasingly dismal results using bioflocs at our farm and after trying all kinds of fixes, we came to the realization that our problems were not related to biofloc technology, but that we had a seedstock issue. In 2015, we started using a new source of Ecuadorian SPF APE (All Pathogen Exposed) seedstock, and our survival rates almost quadrupled from the low 20% to near 80%. Frankly, using the APE seedstock is the only reason we are still in business.

When you combine Dr. Samocha’s biofloc contributions with the genetic improvements in our seedstock, our industry should be able to make some very substantial leaps forward. I suspect that Dr. Samocha’s upcoming biofloc manual will become an industry bible that many successful farmers will use. I know we will.

sde1500

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MnFish1
The semantics of natural filtration bore me when I talk with a skeptic of your caliber.

What an incredibly unproductive answer. Why be a proponent for a system on a public forum where discussion happens with a dismissive attitude like that?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://penaeid.com/

Superior Breeding
Means Superior Quality

American Penaeid is the largest shrimp farming company in America. While it is becoming increasingly difficult to grow profitable shrimp crops, we work hard to supply our customers with the most vigorous and resilient shrimp possible by breeding APE (All Pathogen Exposed) shrimp.

@MnFish1
This is one example of “natural filtration” technology.

Working with the Best
President Robin Pearl is an entrepreneur who has founded several companies in diverse fields with sustainable undertones. In 2014, he co-founded API and worked to build it into the largest indoor shrimp farm in the United States. API is now successfully producing all natural, chemical-free and fresh shrimp available year-round in commercial quantities for markets across the world.

Last edited:

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.researchgate.net/public...ths_and_myths_about_SPF_shrimp_in_Aquaculture

Shrimp domestication and genetic improvement programmes began in late 1980s, in the United States of America, under the United States Marine Shrimp Farming Program (USMSFP), using the Pacific whiteleg shrimp Penaeus van-namei. The USMSFP was based on proven concepts from the livestock and poultry industries and began with establishing a specific pathogen-free (SPF) shrimp stock. The original shrimp stock was obtained using rigorous screening of captured wild shrimp for selection of individuals naturally free of major shrimp pathogens. Although the concept of SPF animals was well defined for terrestrial animals, it was relatively new for aquaculture, and it took some time to be adopted by the aquaculture community. In the early 1990s, parallel to USMSFP, several other programmes on genetic improvement of shrimp were also initiated in Latin America. Subsequently, several new terminologies and products, such as specific pathogen resistant (SPR) shrimp, specific pathogen tolerant (SPT) shrimp and even 'all pathogen exposed' (APE) shrimp, entered the shrimp industry vocabulary and became commercial. This led to confusion in the shrimp industry about the meaning, relationship and significance of these new terms with respect to SPF. This position paper attempts to clarify these concepts, provide science-based definitions, reconfirms the importance of developing, maintaining and using domesticated, specific pathogen-free (SPF) shrimp stocks (which may also achieve SPR and/or SPT status) to reduce the risk of disease outbreaks and increase production and profit. The same principles would apply to development of domesticated SPF stocks for other species used in aquaculture. The paper also discusses the difficulties of confirming and certifying SPF status due to the presence of endogenous viral elements (EVEs) and calls for internationally agreed science and evidence-based technical guidelines for producing healthy shrimp.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MnFish1

https://www.shrimpnews.com/FreeReportsFolder/The Shrimp List/UpdateDrSamochasNewBookSchedule.html

We operate one of the largest biofloc shrimp farms in North America. When done correctly, there is no question that bioflocs work. We have commercialized Dr. Samocha’s research, and we are proof that this is the way of the future. Without his research we would not exist. While it is true that there are only a few successful operations in North America, the technology is not at issue. Marketing, prices, feeds and other costs are not the issues either. The problem is the quality of suitable seedstock for biofloc shrimp farming.

The lack of high-quality seed supplies that are specifically selected for high-density, high-stress biofloc shrimp farming is by far the leading reason why North American (and I suspect other regions) biofloc shrimp farms struggle. While Dr. Samocha may not agree, in my opinion, he would be hard pressed to duplicate the record-setting, 7-to-9-kilogram-per-cubic-meter biofloc production levels he got in 2011-2013 using the currently available seedstock in the USA The seedstock is just not as good as it used to be.

After a couple of years of increasingly dismal results using bioflocs at our farm and after trying all kinds of fixes, we came to the realization that our problems were not related to biofloc technology, but that we had a seedstock issue. In 2015, we started using a new source of Ecuadorian SPF APE (All Pathogen Exposed) seedstock, and our survival rates almost quadrupled from the low 20% to near 80%. Frankly, using the APE seedstock is the only reason we are still in business.

When you combine Dr. Samocha’s biofloc contributions with the genetic improvements in our seedstock, our industry should be able to make some very substantial leaps forward. I suspect that Dr. Samocha’s upcoming biofloc manual will become an industry bible that many successful farmers will use. I know we will.

I have no skepticism about shrimp farms. I have no clue about shrimp farms - thus I asked. No need to be paranoid:):):):).... Since I dont want to
'bore you' because I am a 'skeptic of some caliber' - It doesn't matter what you mean I guess - but your post above - containing the words you use make no sense to the average reader. "biofloc", "seed supplies", "seedstock", "All Pathogen Exposed". Perhaps you should be posting in a mariculture forum. Because here the terms you use - and the derogatory language you use doesn't make sense to me....Perhaps I'm misunderstanding.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Research is research. Reef hobby gets little research money. Much scientific research money goes into agriculture, aquaculture and mariculture research. It’s our tax dollars.

The proof of a 400% increase in productivity because shrimp were exposed to all pathogens is direct proof at the heart of the discussion on immune system enhanced with expose to all pathogens.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Research is research. Reef hobby gets little research money. Much scientific research money goes into agriculture, aquaculture and mariculture research. It’s our tax dollars.

The proof of a 400% increase in productivity because shrimp were exposed to all pathogens is direct proof at the heart of the discussion on immune system enhanced with expose to all pathogens.
You ignored what I wrote.

World Wide Corals

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B
I have a 1500 square foot greenhouse. If you bring the clams, I got the shrimp.

https://www.osmobot.com/2018/11/23/...t-they-mean-for-the-future-of-shrimp-farming/

All Pathogens Exposed (APE) Shrimp
The other school of thought in shrimp breeding is called All Pathogens Exposed. Here the broodstock families are purposefully exposed to the outside world and all of the diseases that are prominent (Whitespot, EHP, EMS, etc.). All of those that show the highest survival are kept and bred and the process is repeated.

In such facilities bio-security is not a major concern as the animals have already been exposed.

The major advantage of APE shrimp is that they have been bred to be tough in the outside world and in the conditions that are common in shrimp farms.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B

https://www.osmobot.com/2018/11/23/...t-they-mean-for-the-future-of-shrimp-farming/

All Pathogens Exposed (APE) Shrimp
The other school of thought in shrimp breeding is called All Pathogens Exposed. Here the broodstock families are purposefully exposed to the outside world and all of the diseases that are prominent (Whitespot, EHP, EMS, etc.). All of those that show the highest survival are kept and bred and the process is repeated.

In such facilities bio-security is not a major concern as the animals have already been exposed.

The major advantage of APE shrimp is that they have been bred to be tough in the outside world and in the conditions that are common in shrimp farms.
Thanks - it really helps to understand what you're saying when you give it some context. I had no clue what you were talking about before:). Hopefully you will not go bankrupt like your friend ;0 (THAT WAS A JOKE)

AquaCave Logo Banner

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran across this video today........

@soflmuddin

Thank you for the video. I found it very relevant for the hobby and this thread in particular.

I saw the obvious connection between kemo and copper. I buried three brothers that went thru extensive kemo treatment. More people die from kemo treatment than from the Cancer itself. Easily 400% more fish die from stress than from all pathogens combined. Be certain copper stresss fish and kills bacteria.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B

I can get all the clams you want. Just let me rent a Tractor Trailer.

What is Biofloc? I want it. :rolleyes:

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BioFloc is both bacteria & food to deal with organic waste from intensive shrimp cultivation. Using proprietary bacteria groups, organic wastes are converted into food for shrimp. Production levels reached 3/4 lb of shrimp per cubic foot.

I gave the scientist 5G of Ulva and got 5 lbs of large live shrimp after I toured Shrimp Farm.

http://www.shrimpnews.com/FreeRepor.../TzachSamochasBookOnBioflocShrimpFarming.html

Tzachi Samocha: I want to help people working with biofloc shrimp farming become successful. I’m especially interested in helping the small producers in the United States that are struggling right now. I’m also working with a large producer who’s working on a super-intensive, nursery system that has learned that when they get the best juveniles from a nursery system that they get better economic returns. When they start with healthy, robust animals, they get far better performance in growout ponds. I’m also working with a company on a large growout project.

I’m interested in transferring this technology to the private sector, and I’m really tired of the people who think they know the technology and take money from small investors for projects that have no chance of working. For example, I don’t think you need to add a gram of carbon (in the form of sugar or molasses) to the system. Some of these no-nothing, so-called experts tell farmers to keep adding carbon until they hit the wall, and then everything starts to crumble. It’s very hard to make a profit using biofloc shrimp farming technology; I want to give everyone the very best chance of success, especially the mom-and-pop operations in the United States.

Paul,
One other thing about Dr. Samocha. He was born in Israel. During “The 7 Day War” with Egypt, he led the tank column that was the “tip of the spear” that outflanked Egyptian armor to win the War.

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats very cool. I respect Veterans greatly.

I gave the scientist 5G of Ulva and got 5 lbs of large live shrimp after I toured Shrimp Farm.

I can send you 5 lbs of ulva every time I lift my anchor. The stuff covers the areas where I boat a foot thick.

atoll

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subsea, you may be aware of this already so forgive if you don't mind me mentioning it here. Ornamental shrimp (and seahorse) breeders use Oxydator's which help increase the survival rate of broods. However, such may not be practical in large scale commercial breeding of shrimp for the food market.

atoll

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats very cool. I respect Veterans greatly.

I can send you 5 lbs of ulva every time I lift my anchor. The stuff covers the areas where I boat a foot thick.

Ulva intrstinalis at least is great stuff. I use it in my waterfall ATS and it grows at a phenomenal rate reducing nutrients like no other IME.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atoll, show a picture of that thing. I know I used to have it and I built one along with Albert Thiel but I may build another one just for kicks. I recently built a sulfur denitrator but I have no more nitrate so I never used it. I would like to set it up just because it looks so cool. :)

atoll

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atoll, show a picture of that thing. I know I used to have it and I built one along with Albert Thiel but I may build another one just for kicks. I recently built a sulfur denitrator but I have no more nitrate so I never used it. I would like to set it up just because it looks so cool. :)
Here ya go.
s-chting-oxydator-w-noiseless-aquarium-alternative-air-pump-shrimpoly-1807-01-shrimpoly%402.jpeg
soechting-oxydator-xl-w.jpeg

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aqua SD
Back