The Other Way to Run a Reef Tank (no Quarantine)

BRS

Lasse

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i collect coldwater fauna to my warmwater aquarium I use to collect them in rock pools. The temperature in rock pools here at the Swedish westcoast can rise to more than 30 degrees C - it means that organisms that survive in these rock pools can survive in my aquaria too - at least for a time. I do not think that bacteria will be harmed by 10 - 20 degree C higher than normal - more likely the opposite

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was more than surprised seeing an attractive young lady that was well dressed with a cone head,
sucking the brains out of crawfish at a Swedish cray fish party.

Our traditional Cray Fish Parties will put the creoles way to eat these delicacies resemble eating at a five star restaurant :) We have three grown up party highlites in this country, New Years Eve, Midsummer and the fall cray fish party.

During august Sweden consume around 5 000 000 kilo cray fish (2 000 000 kilo from Sweden - 3 000 000 kilo imported) It means 0.5 kilo/inhabitant

Sincerely Lasse

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons are these two tanks? Talk about something to shoot for! Beautiful job to both of you!

Thank you for the kind words. To be compared to Lasse tank is more than a compliment. It is a honor. My display is 75G with a 30G mud filter with cryptic refugium,

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/2...m-on-top-with-30g-ecosystem-mud-macro.421526/

When i collect coldwater fauna to my warmwater aquarium I use to collect them in rock pools. The temperature in rock pools here at the Swedish westcoast can rise to more than 30 degrees C - it means that organisms that survive in these rock pools can survive in my aquaria too - at least for a time. I do not think that bacteria will be harmed by 10 - 20 degree C higher than normal - more likely the opposite

Sincerely Lasse

Barnacles will clog up a seachest on a ship. In all shipboard piping, sacrificial anodes are installed to prevent corrosion but also add an inhibitor to prevent growth of microorganisms.

Last edited:
World Wide Corals

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our traditional Cray Fish Parties will put the creoles way to eat these delicacies resemble eating at a five star restaurant :) We have three grown up party highlites in this country, New Years Eve, Midsummer and the fall cray fish party.

During august Sweden consume around 5 000 000 kilo cray fish (2 000 000 kilo from Sweden - 3 000 000 kilo imported) It means 0.5 kilo/inhabitant

Sincerely Lasse

@Lasse
If their are 10 million people in Sweden eating 5 million kilos of mud bugs, I think some may eat more than their 0.5 kilo share.: lol

No doubt, you guys in Sweden like to party. I would not have thought that a warm water “mud bug” would be so popular. I have friends that cater 20,000lb crawfish boils. He had a 747 outfitted to bring the party to the people.

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse

When I was interviewing jobs as I neared graduation from Maritime Academy, I had the opportunity to be interviewed frequently. In 1973, as a combat vet and top 5% of one of the best engineering universities in the world, I was a young, arrogant, cocky, self assured, Cajun Aggie. I had just toured a 1000 acre crawfish plantation of a high school friend and read a 200 page economic projection of a “high risk” venture capital coop between LSU academia scientist and Cajun farmers. With my compulsiveness, I brought the enthusiasm of “crawfish empire” into the interview. When the well dressed interviewer asked me the classic question of “ where do you see yourself with our company after 10 years. I blurted out crawfish farmer. Needless to say, I was not offerred a job as a crawfish farmer.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing about getting mad is eventually you get happy again. :)

Bobby, I could never get mad on a fish forum. This stuff is only important to us fish Geeks and no one else. We are not curing ingrown toenails or making those little things on the ends of shoelaces. (I forget what they are called)
This is all a hobby and the people that get mad over it can't have much of a life. There "fish" and I eat fish almost every day. :D

AS for lobsters, I don't eat them. My family had a seafood business and I had to eat all the lobsters that died as you can't sell dead lobsters.
(Chinese restaurants used to buy them because they chopped them up but they were not supposed to use them but what do I know.)

I had boiled lobster, grilled lobster, fried lobster, sautéed lobster, lobster soup, lobster and peanut butter and jelly, lobster salad, lobster and Cheerios etc. Then when I started SCUBA diving, we caught lobster everyday. I hate those things. :confused:

If their are 10 million people in Sweden eating 5 million kilos of mud bugs, I think some may eat more than their 0.5 kilo share.: lol

There are ten million people 0n a Friday in the Home Depot I go to. :rolleyes:

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse

Creole & Cajun are very differrent.

Creole origin is the mixture of Spanish aristocrats migration to New World via the Port of New Orleans. Arranged marriages of successful Louisiana plantation owners with Spanish woman of social status but no money.

Cajuns were farmers, hunters and fishermen from the French Canadian province of Acadiana. In the epic poem “Evangeline”, Longfella discrbes how lovers were uprooted by English soldies as the French settlers were removed from choice farmlands along fertile rivers. The Acadians that traveled South along the eastern seaboard of North America they rounded the tip of Florida and settled on Louisiana. When the German migration got to America, they passed up Louisiana and settled on Texas Hill Country. Instead of crawfish, they got scorpions. Instead of dealing with Cajun homesteaders, they got Apaches & Comanche.

Lasse

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Subsea Thank you for the the distinction between creols and cajun - of cause I was refered to the cajun kitchen with crayfish and catfish.

The common Swedish crayfish is not a mud weller and we have the signal crayfish (from rocky montains) too.

Sincerely Lasse

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I thought they all settled here in New York. We got everybody. :D

I saw the most colorful sunset leaving Long Island in May of 1971. Oldest sister had married into a German family in Patchogue. Freshly discharged from USAF, I had 6 months before going back to college after 4 years of military service. With an old El Camino and two brothers we set out for the Canadian Rockies. In honor of departing on a 6 month Odyssey into the mountains, I opted to roll a joint to commemorate the occasion. As the makings were in my lap, our truck was hit by a car. Quickly cleaning up paraphernalia, I approached the offending car and asked them if instead of reporting accident would they give me some cash to pay for minuscule damage done. At that point, he allowed me to see his holstered gun. I thanked him for his time and asked if we could leave without the delay of reporting accident. He laughed and thanked me for military service. Then he told me, I should destroy my evidence as the joint was sticking out of my pocket. I smoked it as we crossed the Throngneck Bridge. Due to an inversion in athmosphere all the particulate floating refracted sunlight making for an awesome light show at sunset.

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Subsea Thank you for the the distinction between creols and cajun - of cause I was refered to the cajun kitchen with crayfish and catfish.

The common Swedish crayfish is not a mud weller and we have the signal crayfish (from rocky montains) too.

Sincerely Lasse

When I first worked in offshore drilling, I had just moved to Baton Rouge where my young wife was working on doctorate in Phycologia. Us Cajuns are delicate and should be handled with care. Red Stick was the boundary between two powerful Indian Nations and marks the sight of the Louisiana State Capital.

During my stay in Baton Rouge, I connected with the Regional Director of Aquaculture for the Gulf of Mexico states. At that time, aquaculture was not under the Department of Agriculture, it was under the authority of La Wildlife & Fisheries. When burdened with the regulations, aquaculture in Louisiana never made it big. Texas aquaculture is under the jurisdiction of the Agriculture Department. I am introducing a further breakdown to include mariculture and am working with AgriLife technicians and County Agent to develop, SOP (Standard Operating Procedures) with QC & QA protocol. Hawaii has a thriving mariculture industry to keep up with local consumption. IndoPacific SeaFarm is operated by Gerald Hesslinger. Using nutrient rich saltwater, untreated from 3000’ deep, IPSF grows Tang Heaven Red, Gracilaria Parvispora. The locals eat more than Hawaii can produce, so they imported from the Gulf of Mexico, Gracilaria Tikvahiae. Gerald is a pioneer that brought clam farming to the Phillippean Islands. He helped write the protocol for mariculture in the State of Hawaii. I will propose that Texas emulate the success of mariculture in Hawaii.

But I digress from crawfish. So, while in Baton Rouge I visited some crawfish R&D of an Australian crawfish that weighed > 1 pound. The enviromental concern for Louisiana was all of the earthen dams & levies along rivers & swamps. Louisiana crawfish dig holes in ground during dry season to nest and multiply. The Louisiana crawfish burrows were topped with a mud chimney going vertical. Austrailian crawfish digs burrows in the horizontal plane and scientist feared that levies could collapse.

https://louisianawild.com/

These guys are some rowdy friends. During crawfish season in Louisiana, February thru May, Louisiana Wild makes two trips a week to Ville Platt. Each trip brings 10K pounds of crawfish into Austin.

After living in Germany for four years, I found the Germans to be like the Cajuns:
Work hard / Play Hard. After living in Texas for 10 years, the Texacans are the same as the Cajuns & the Germans. Then two other rowdy friends @Lasse & @Paul B have convinced me that the Swedes & the Italians also play hard.

I like it when the Spirit of the moment is having fun.

With that I will exit and say, “Let the good times roll”.

Last edited:

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first worked in offshore drilling, I had just moved to Baton Rouge where my young wife was working on doctorate in Phycologia. Us Cajuns are delicate and should be handled we care. Red Stick was the boundary between two powerful Indian Nations and marks the sight of the Louisiana State Capital.

During my stay in Baton Rouge, I connected with the Regional Director of Aquaculture for the Gulf of Mexico states. At that time, aquaculture was not under the Department of Agriculture, it was under the authority of La Wildlife & Fisheries. When burdened with the regulations, aquaculture in Louisiana never made it big. Texas aquaculture is under the jurisdiction of the Agriculture Department. I am introducing a further breakdown to include mariculture and amworking with AgriLife technicians and County Agent to develop, SOP (Standard Operating Procedures) with QC & QA protocol. Hawaii has a thriving mariculture industry to keep up with local consumption. IndoPacific SeaFarm is operated by Gerald Hesslinger. Using nutrient rich saltwater, untreated from 3000’ deep, IPSF grows Tang Heaven Red, Gracilaria Parvispora. The locals eat more than Hawaii can produce, so they imported from the Gulf of Mexico, Gracilaria Tikvahiae. Gerald is a pioneer that brought clamfarm8ng to the Phillippean Islands. He helped write the protocol for mariculture in the State of Hawaii. I will propose that Texas emulate the success of mariculture in Hawaii.

But I digress from crawfish. So, while in Baton Rouge I visited some crawfish R&D of an Australian crawfish that weighed > 1 pound. The enviromental concern for Louisiana was all of the earthen dams & levies along rivers & swamps. Louisiana crawfish dig holes in ground during dry season to nest and multiply. The Louisiana crawfish burrows were topped with a mud chimney going vertical. Austrailian crawfish digs burrows in the horizontal plane and scientist feared that levies could collapse.
man, seasub you're going to be my best friend ,wow.
Have I Told You Lately That You're the smartest guy , I know. Also not a bad looking cat. At 70 years young.

Last edited:

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Bald Eagle is an apex predator is his domain and he mainly eats fish, but has been documented carrying off baby sheep.

Yesterday, I went on a 6 hour Vanishing River Cruise on Lake Bucannon to see Bald Eagles nesting. We saw no eagles but the weather was gorgeous for a sea cruise. During the cruise, one of the passengers was purchasing against for Austin Independent School District. As we further talked about my vision to mentor students on Oceanography & Enviromental Science, Anitta suggested a meeting with Science Director for AISD.

While luck does happen, I believe that the Universe is telling me to “do something”. With that said.

I will seize the day.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Bald Eagle is an apex predator is his domain and he mainly eats fish, but has been documented carrying off baby sheep.

Yesterday, I went on a 6 hour Vanishing River Cruise on Lake Bucannon to see Bald Eagles nesting. We saw no eagles but the weather was gorgeous for a sea cruise. During the cruise, one of the passengers was purchasing against for Austin Independent School District. As we further talked about my vision to mentor students on Oceanography & Enviromental Science, Anitta suggested a meeting with Science Director for AISD.

While luck does happen, I believe that the Universe is telling me to “do something”. With that said.

I will seize the day.
Also the eagle represents wisdom one of God's attributes.

Top Shelf Aquatics

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open system vs closed system = apples vs oranges.
Curious - I thought we were talking about adding water from Puget sound to a tank. I mentioned what the Seattle aquarium does to their water before adding Puget Sound water to their aquarium. What is the apples/oranges issue with that?

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know people who have spent thousands of pounds on their aquariums which are less successful than mine. Does excellent water quality (whatever that is) equal succes and disease free tanks? Not to my knowledge. Just what are these public aquariums filtering out? If its disease and parasites do their fish live long healthy lives? How many fish do they loose each year due to various health issues and do they publish their losses or hide them? We all know [email protected] way to a successful marine aquarium.
Yes - I don't know - that's why I was asking the question:). I didn't say they were right - but - in the case of Puget sound - I think they might be right.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bobby, I could never get mad on a fish forum.

Not you, THEM!

People shouldn't get upset when someone else offers a dissenting viewpoint. Or says something that goes against the grain. I don't take it personal when someone tells me, "No thanks, I'm not going to quarantine." I just move on to helping the next person.

Nutramar Foods

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the reasons to threath incomming natural water with methods that kill living organisms is not only to kill pathogens but to kill organisms that will settle in the pipes. That´s a major problem in large natural systems.

Sincerely Lasse

This makes sense - in Seattle they use sand filter, ozone, UV, carbon and protein skimming in the water being used for their 'pacific reef tank' - which contains fish etc from Puget sound (to my recollection).

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Ecotech Marine
Back