The Official Open-Source "Mother of All Coral Lists..." Huh? Just read it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, when we first started in this hobby, it was awful nice of experienced reefers to tell us things like, “Don’t mix saltwater in your display tank!” or “Never let your child pet the Lionfish!” Stuff like that. Then came the recommendations of what corals to keep, how to feed, water chemistry, blah,blah blah.

Time for us to co-author a more "hobbyist-based" guide to the best corals under a variety of categories. YOU are gonna help write this!

Articles have been written about “hardy beginner’s corals” before, so we’re not breaking new ground here if we breach that subject…or are we? I mean, yeah- even a rank beginner knows that Sarcophyton is easy to keep, or that the most bulletproof “SPS” coral is probably Pocillopora…been there- done that. However, since we are the uber-progressive reefers of the “Postmodern Era”, I think we probably have a new set of players to recommend to fellow reefers! A discussion of more than just “beginners’ corals” are needed. Let’s discuss what we think are the “Postmodern Reefkeeper’s Best Corals to Keep.”

So, here’s the deal: Let’s base this on YOUR personal experiences- not the “generally accepted” list of beginner’s corals. I’m not saying that you’re gonna be recommending Dendronepthia as the “New Sinularia!” What I AM saying is that I’d like to see our community create a newer, crowd-sourced, real time list of corals in various categories that are relatively easy for most reefers at novice level or intermediate level to have success with. However, I don’t want to dwell on that category, either. Let’s think about multiple categories…No rules here.

Think in terms of availability, hardiness, beauty, and adaptability. However, I’d also like you to think in terms of some newer characteristics: Ease of propagation, suitability for mixed reef systems, and “tradeability”- that intangible trait that makes a coral something that other reefers want to own so much that they’ll trade you for it (also known in the long form as “Frag-Swap-Ready”).

I’ll break it down into some basic categories that appeal to me to start…You can totally have at it and make this discussion as detailed as you want, in terms of breaking it down by coral types, traits, etc. Expand on my categories or break them down into your own…That’s the joy of crowd-sourced lists- I just started the darned thing- you’re taking over and making it belong to the hobby!

Without further delay, here is my start:

BEST CORAL TO BRING TO A FRAG SWAP: “Oh, c’mon, Fellman- everyone knows it’s the ‘Superman Tabling Acro', yup”…NO! NO! NO!! Have I fought you NOTHING (cue dramatic music)? Let’s not get on the “trend bandwagon” with this category…I’m talking about corals that you can easily get cool trades for, not just because it’s the “hot” one of the moment, but because everyone seems to find some common ground with this species or group of species…OK, cleared the air on that.

Here’s my choice: Acropora millepora! Yes, the “Millie.” Totally obvious…LOL. It’s one of the more adaptable of the Acropora, grows really fast, comes in a variety of growth forms, and lots of cool colors. It’s the one Acropora that seems to never follow trends or go out of style. You can cut a small frag of the stuff from your beautiful Pink and Yellow colony and A)Barely notice it, B) easily put it on a frag plug to encrust on, and C) Walk into a frag swap with something that actually looks like a coral, not a broken Cashew Nut. The “Millie” is not only a crowd favorite, it’s a beautiful example of an “SPS” coral that can become a centerpiece in most any reef, given some pretty basic care (ie; the classic “Bright light and moderate to strong water movement.”).

UC3inch-bali-mari-pink-millie-78.jpg

"Thoroughly Modern Millie"

FASTEST-GROWING CORAL: Hmm, that’s really open to opinion, but my choice, besides the obvious Xenia or Sinularia, would be the “Birdsnest” Coral, Seriatiopora. Not only does it come in some awesome color varieties (the classic hot pink, the killer Phonape morph, and the unusual Purple come to mind), it’s almost a “bulletproof” coral, tolerating a lot of handling, adapting to new environments quickly, and growing into a respectable colony size in mere months under proper care. Everyone seems to love the Birdsnest. It’s just one of those “comfort corals” that makes a reef tank a reef tank!

UC2inch-pink-birdsnest-38.jpg

"Is that all you got, Xenia? I look better!"

MOST APPEALING LPS CORAL: Oh, sure, some of you might recommend Chalices, and that’s a fair thought..But I’m thinking of a coral that has more broad appeal. One that seems to have a place in most collections, adds a note of great color, interest, and class. Also, one that although it can be more expensive than it is “cheap”, you won’t need to mortgage the house to get one. My choice- The “Gold Torch Coral”. Yep, this beautiful Euphyllia seems to have found its way into lots of reefers hearts over the years. The Aussie variety, in particular, is hardy, super-attractive, settles into most reefs nicely, and reproduces over time into an impressive stand that will be a centerpiece in your reef. And, everyone seems to like this coral (and most of the nicer Euphyllia, actually), so you’ll always find someone who will want a frag if your colony gets too big and unwieldy for your reef.

UC4inch-aussie-gold-torch-colony-178.jpg

All that glitters is...GOLD!

BLUEST CORAL: Really? We’re going to use color as a category? Sure! Remember, this is not your typical “Best of “ list. It’s OURS…So, yeah, “Bluest Coral.” Easily has to be the “Oregon Blue Tort”, Acropora tortuosa. I mean, this thing is solid blue. Sure, there are a few other Acros that have intense blue, like A. tenuis, and perhaps an A. loripes or two, but the “Tort” takes the cake, IMHO. It’s about as solid blue as a coral can be, and really keeps that strong blue color if you blast it with high-intensity light, good flow, and feed the crap out of your reef. I mean, this thing looks blue in the bag, outside of aquarium lighting sources. Yup, blue.

UC2inch-oregon-tort-128.jpg

This one will have other corals "singin' the blues" for sure...

MOST ALIEN-LOOKING: Allright, this one is never easy…Hardcore coral guys will pick crazy ones like Echinopora, Potobacea, Herpolitha, or other obscure weirdness. Too bad, I'm picking first...LOL. For me, the most exotic-looking corals are ones that kind of look, well..”alien.” And the coral that looks most extraterrestrial to me is…Duncanopsammia! Yes, really! I mean, it’s green, has weird-looking/weird-colored branches, crazy polyps. I dunno, it just looks kind of exotic. And it’s not exactly rare, right? Probably one of the most commonly available corals these days (It’s wasn't always, though, remember?). Don't confuse "alien-looking" or "exotic" with "rare." RUNNER UP: Bubble Coral…yeah, don’t get me started or I’ll end up rethinking this one…

3inch-aussie-green-duncan-88.JPGUC.jpg

If E.T. had a fave coral, could this be it?

OK, I’ve given you a start on this disjointed, yet somehow oh-so-right list I’m trying to concoct…It’s in your hands now…Lets see your nominations for- well- whatever…

Thanks as always for being part of this community, exchanging ideas, and sharing in the joy of reef keeping. Also, thank you especially for the many, many encouraging emails and PM’s I received regarding my father’s illness. It was so touching the other day, I almost lost it just reading them. Your words of encouragement, caring, and even prayers mean more to me than I ever could imagine. Thank you for giving me the strength I need to keep pushing ahead through some pretty dark waters..What a great community we have here!

If we do this right, I think that this thread can be the ultimate crowd-sourced guide to the “Best of…” in reef keeping. Have fun with it, and don’t lose the tongue-in-cheekiness that I have come to love and expect from you, my fellow reef geeks!

Go with it..

Until Next Time..

Stay Wet

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Last edited:

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, a must have coral for anyone are zoanthids, specifically Rastas! They've been cultivated by hobbyist for so long, grow well, affordable, and easily found online or through your club.
IMG_9859rastazoos3quartersinch148.JPGUC.JPG

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, a must have coral for anyone are zoanthids, specifically Rastas! They've been cultivated by hobbyist for so long, grow well, affordable, and easily found online or through your club.

Ohh...good ones...Love the Rastas!

-Scott

specvjeff

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say any of the semi rare Zoas are a great investment. They aren't too expensive, they grow quickly, and you can always sell and trade them once they've grown out. Rasta's, Candy Apple Reds, Red Hornets, and Sunny D's are all great examples.

While things like Green Star Polyps, Xenia, and Kenya Tree are easy to keep they are corals almost everyone regrets adding.

Last edited:
OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say any of the semi rare Zoas are a great investment. They aren't too expensive, the grow quickly, and you can always sell and trade them once they've grown out. Rasta's, Candy Apple Reds, Red Hornets, and Sunny D's are all great examples.

While things like Green Star Polyps, Xenia, and Kenya Tree are easy to keep they are corals almost everyone regrets adding.

Excellent point on the Zoas...they are super "trade bait" at frag swaps, and the varieties that you mention have the added benefit of being quite attractive AND distinctive in appearance!

-Scott

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although fragging them requires a saw to do it with best results, my coral I would recommend when factoring in lighting, water quality, hardiness, color, friendly (to a point), adaptability, growth and flat out curb appeal is the Acan species, particularly Lords. As long as you aren't blasting them with high par they won't morph. I have 40+ pieces all kept together and the rainbow color effect is brilliant to say the least.

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe I should get back into zoas? :ban:

Railcar79

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acans. Lordhowensis acans are always a crowd favorite, easy to raise, colorful and "meaty" more than just a colored stick, they have a fleshy appearence that just screams for more. Maybe I have an acan addiction (Scott remember how fast I snapped up that one at the Sioux Falls talk), or maybe I am just mentally warped (what reefer isnt?) but I would rather have 72 gallon of acans than a thousand gallons of sticks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Rastas and Duncans are eye catchers and hardy always !!

Kirdro

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I've got one. Most interesting coral for people that know nothing about reefing: pulsing xenia. It seems like every time someone new comes over and sees the tank, the first thing they ask about (after my black nemo fish, occi's) is the pretty pink ones that move.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I've got one. Most interesting coral for people that know nothing about reefing: pulsing xenia. It seems like every time someone new comes over and sees the tank, the first thing they ask about (after my black nemo fish, occi's) is the pretty pink ones that move.

Well stated! It always makes me laugh when an "advanced" reefer is proudly showing off his Acro collection to a non-reefer, and is trying to point out the "awesome blue tips" on a non descript Acro, while the visitor is mesmerized by a common Sinularia. Love that!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back