The dirtier the better?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have come to notice that the dirtier my tank is the more healthy and thriving everything gets. I've always had or tried to maintain somewhat elevated nutrients levels but when I just let the glass go for a week or two so it's covered with film algae everything in the tank seem so darn happy. Corals are fat and fluffy. Inverts have smiles on their faces, pods spell out "thank you" on the glass. Even my sump is just an algae chaeto mess with mulm and looks like a swamp.

Anyone else think the more dirty the better it is?

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have come to notice that the dirtier my tank is the more healthy and thriving everything gets. I've always had or tried to maintain somewhat elevated nutrients levels but when I just let the glass go for a week or two so it's covered with film algae everything in the tank seem so darn happy. Corals are fat and fluffy. Inverts have smiles on their faces, pods spell out "thank you" on the glass. Even my sump is just an algae chaeto mess with mulm and looks like a swamp.

Anyone else think the more dirty the better it is?
I haven’t personally, I’m a little OCD about my glass and water changes ( nothing else, just ask my wife) but I’ve read multiple posts on this forum where life got in the way and their tanks were neglected for a month or two only to find everything especially corals, never looked happier and healthier.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t personally, I’m a little OCD about my glass and water changes ( nothing else, just ask my wife) but I’ve read multiple posts on this forum where life got in the way and their tanks were neglected for a month or two only to find everything especially corals, never looked happier and healthier.
Yes I recall posts like that also which just makes me curious why this is beneficial in some tanks.

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I recall posts like that also which just makes me curious why this is beneficial in some tanks.
Ya, I’m at a loss. Like you I run higher nutrients, phosphate.25 and nitrates 25. Could be more nutrients for corals and cuc.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME… it’s more about keeping my hands out of it… which sometimes means a little dirtier
Well this is true for me also but aside from monthly water changes if I let my glass go for 2 weeks the tank is fluffy huge. I'm just wondering because the film algae is accumulating is their more film algae in the water column? The ocean has a continuous supply of phytoplankton so by letting my tank dirty up am I organically making a supply of phytoplankton in the water somehow?

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back