Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this tank from a friend about a month and a half ago and the diatoms just went crazy about 3 weeks after setting it back up. The tank has been established for well over a year. I got 2 oscelarous clowns a cleaner shrimp and a small goby, 5 astreas snail 5 nasarious and a few other inverts. Frogspawn, mushroom coral. Nitrates read 0 and haven’t tested phosphates yet but am using an absorbent media. Any tips to slow this down or should I just wait it out? Ps there does seem to be some more Coraline growing on the back glass

9897DC37-25BD-40EB-AD90-E3F292E9EE01.jpeg

BRS

andrewey

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the source of your water and have you tested your TDS recently?

Are you sure it's a diatom bloom and not dinos?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I would do if I were in your situation. A diatom bloom after a tank move is not uncommon. If that's the case, the diatoms should resolve within a few weeks, so you might need to give it a bit more time. However, if it seems to be getting worse, then I would do one of two things- either confirm it's not dinos with a microscope/coffee filter test (as dinos can look exactly like what you have pictured and your 0 nutrients would help to explain their presence) or get a cheap TDS meter and confirm you aren't adding silicates or other contaminants with your WCs/top off. Lastly, there are variants of cyanobacteria that can mimic a diatom bloom, however, I'd consider this option last.

OP
OP
Taykilps

Taykilps

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I would do if I were in your situation. A diatom bloom after a tank move is not uncommon. If that's the case, the diatoms should resolve within a few weeks, so you might need to give it a bit more time. However, if it seems to be getting worse, then I would do one of two things- either confirm it's not dinos with a microscope/coffee filter test (as dinos can look exactly like what you have pictured and your 0 nutrients would help to explain their presence) or get a cheap TDS meter and confirm you aren't adding silicates or other contaminants with your WCs/top off. Lastly, there are variants of cyanobacteria that can mimic a diatom bloom, however, I'd consider this option last.
Thanks for the reply, I used chemi clean and it didn’t do anything so I know it isn’t cyano. I guess I’ll just wait it out and hope for the best. once again thanks for the feedback!

Wampatom

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your outbreak seems consistent with diatoms: time after setup and color. But are you sure? I agree with others that say to wait and see if the problem resolves itself.

I will admit I have a fondness for diatoms. I have never had a major outbreak and they are quite beautiful under the microscope.

Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Gluemasters - your best choice for CA super glue
Back