Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to temporarily place corals on frag plugs on rock work for the short term? Want to test out coral placement before taking them off frag plugs and gluing onto the rock permanently.

Cannot stand the look of the frag plugs. I've been able to stick some of them into rock holes for now. However that's not possible over most of the rocks. So I haven't been able to figure out things such as proper flow locations for the corals.

Nutramar Foods

SandNRocks

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way i do this is to cut the stem off the plug and glue it on with just a small drop of super glue in the center. Its more than enough to hold the coral, but still able to be popped off if need be. just be careful, i did accidentally make a zoa frag permanent with too much glue/ no way to get leverage and get it off.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Is there a way to temporarily place corals on frag plugs on rock work for the short term? Want to test out coral placement before taking them off frag plugs and gluing onto the rock permanently.

Cannot stand the look of the frag plugs. I've been able to stick some of them into rock holes for now. However that's not possible over most of the rocks. So I haven't been able to figure out things such as proper flow locations for the corals.
I do this with coral putty which is easy to break off. My favorite is Holdfast

1679272946880.png

OP
OP
JasonVH

JasonVH

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do this with coral putty which is easy to break off. My favorite is Holdfast

View attachment 3072205
Double thanks for this suggestion. Really like the idea of being able to break off. And was wondering if there was a better putty than Seachem coralcrete. Not sure if I'm doing it wrong but that stuff is nearly impossible to deal with. Hardens super fast, barely giving time to work with before it 'sets' at diamond quality hardness. I really wonder how one manages enough time to both attach coral to it *and* mold it to the rock. Had to use superglue to attach it to the rock.

Could I ask why Holdfast is your favorite?

OP
OP
JasonVH

JasonVH

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go check out printedreef they have some holders that fit inside the holes of your rockwork and wrap around your frag plugs.

Thanks for this!! They do have some neat stuff and that stuff you mentioned might actually do the trick for some spots.

Have you tried their sand stands? Tempted to try some for the acan single/double heads sitting on the sand bed.. the hermits sometimes annoy those a bit too often. Not sure how secure they are against being knocked over or pulled down?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
JasonVH

JasonVH

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way i do this is to cut the stem off the plug and glue it on with just a small drop of super glue in the center. Its more than enough to hold the coral, but still able to be popped off if need be. just be careful, i did accidentally make a zoa frag permanent with too much glue/ no way to get leverage and get it off.

Haha oh geez. Wondered about doing this.. wasn't sure if it was feasible idea or not. One thing I did with a few was simply trim the disk so it would look natural once the corals grew(leptoseries and a favite).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Double thanks for this suggestion. Really like the idea of being able to break off. And was wondering if there was a better putty than Seachem coralcrete. Not sure if I'm doing it wrong but that stuff is nearly impossible to deal with. Hardens super fast, barely giving time to work with before it 'sets' at diamond quality hardness. I really wonder how one manages enough time to both attach coral to it *and* mold it to the rock. Had to use superglue to attach it to the rock.

Could I ask why Holdfast is your favorite?
Its easy to knead/mix and bonds well and quickly under water.
Ive used the printed reef plugs but some still pop out of the rings.

Im not fond of coral-crete and like the aquaforest cement and the tunze coral mix

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Champion Lighting & Supply
Back