Temporary holding tank with tap water. Possible?

fr3n0z

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, my problem, I live 150km from first LFS, is near my parents house, I normally go there Saturday and come back Sunday evening.

If I buy at lfs on Saturday I need to keep them out of my tank until Sunday night.

I could setup at my parents a small 5g tank with bubbler, heater and a small 10w lamp.

Can I keep corals, fish and inverts in a holding tank like that for 24hr? (Maybe a couple of small fish, a couple of frags and a couple of inverts) Only thing I will miss is osmotic water, could o use tap or mineral bottled water for such a short period of time?

yuzusama

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run a 120 gallon aquarium and during the first few days I had to use tap water for emergency. The tap water has TDS of around 10 and my sps and lps seems to be fine for almost a month. I did notice with tap water there were a bit more diatoms growing but not too much to be a problem. So if the quality of your local tap water is fine I'd say you could give it a try. just not long term though

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run a 120 gallon aquarium and during the first few days I had to use tap water for emergency. The tap water has TDS of around 10 and my sps and lps seems to be fine for almost a month. I did notice with tap water there were a bit more diatoms growing but not too much to be a problem. So if the quality of your local tap water is fine I'd say you could give it a try. just not long term though
Is water from well, ok for drink, not treated, but surely not RODI. But yes, it will be for 24hr at max, not more.

yuzusama

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is water from well, ok for drink, not treated, but surely not RODI. But yes, it will be for 24hr at max, not more.
Youre most like fine. The water I used is just tap water from maybe location reservoir, and it might even contain some chloride for sanitizing purpose. Definitely not recommend for drinking and yet my corals didnt show any sign of unhappiness. I imagine in your case it couldnt be worse than mine so I'd say you are fine

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally for that small amount of water, I would feel better to stop at a grocery store and spend $5 on distilled water..... just to be safe. Who knows, probably not needed, but its just $5 to protect your $$$$ investment.....

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NicerReefs. Your Reef. But Nicer.
Back