Temperature issues

Aidan_823

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 120 that is just starting to take off. Although, I’ve always had temperature problems in the future of this system, either too high (consistently being 81.1) but now being as the colder seasons are just ahead, my system is running around 74-76. (I usually set my heater at 78). Should I be concerned about the unstable temperatures? (As I am writing this, it is running at 73.6) would colder temperatures affect corals in any way?

OP
OP
Aidan_823

Aidan_823

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 120 that is just starting to take off. Although, I’ve always had temperature problems in the future of this system, either too high (consistently being 81.1) but now being as the colder seasons are just ahead, my system is running around 74-76. (I usually set my heater at 78). Should I be concerned about the unstable temperatures? (As I am writing this, it is running at 73.6) would colder temperatures affect corals in any way?
I forgot to add, I am running a titanium heater, it’s just cooling down too fast.

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here is my whole take on temps…
for cred I got my 1st tank in 1967 and first saltwater in 1977
and first reef in 86 87

I’m sorta outside the crowd here but I do have a few decades of sample and I’ve (almost) never used a heater for tanks over 75 and I’ve never logged any benefit for nailing the temp to 78F ….
IME temps are risky above 83ish or under 68ish …
NO PROBLEMS in between except for seahorses et …

I depend on ambient room temps to maintain tank temps and I’ve lived in Ohio, Colorado, Nevada, Arizona and South Carolina

I don’t like daily swings more than 2-4F but IME without proper logging/documentation….IMO we are all speculating, especially those parroting 78F as the Holy Grail temp which is based on some unknown source AFAIC

forgot to ask, do you have a Apex or anything logging daily temps for you?

….just to repeat: Ive never witnessed or documented any Ill effects for temps above 68F …I don’t think many life forms on planet Earth last long if it’s that wimpy

edited

Last edited:

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our house is always warm, here in the uk it's not common to have AC so in the warmer months the doors are open, I run my tank at 26 Celsius, I very much doubt my heater is being used in the summer as the fans are on alot to keep the temps down, in the winter the house heating is off and on and nothing much changes, I am considering putting a smart plug on my heater to prove the fact its hardly used.

We have a few corals and 26 -26.5 Celsius doesn't seem to bother anything

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our house is always warm, here in the uk it's not common to have AC so in the warmer months the doors are open, I run my tank at 26 Celsius, I very much doubt my heater is being used in the summer as the fans are on alot to keep the temps down, in the winter the house heating is off and on and nothing much changes, I am considering putting a smart plug on my heater to prove the fact its hardly used.

We have a few corals and 26 -26.5 Celsius doesn't seem to bother anything
A smart plug would be a good idea, especially if you can have it on a timer to go off at a particular time. Just make sure it is GFCI-certified to prevent a potential electrical fire from happening.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many watts is your heater? Personally I would be concerned if I set my heater at 78 but the water temp at 73.6, thats a big difference. Either the heater is not functioning properly or is not strong enough, you should have 500-600 watts for that size tank. If the heater is undersized it will work nonstop which could be dangerous for the tank.

Inkbird is also a good tool for only $50 to help control the water temp.

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A smart plug would be a good idea, especially if you can have it on a timer to go off at a particular time. Just make sure it is GFCI-certified to prevent a potential electrical fire from happening.
I have other things on a smart plug such as the ats lights, but for the heater it was purely to monitor if it in fact ever comes on

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with the heater not being big enough & it should be on a controller of some sort.
My controller became defective & kept my tank too warm so I would double check its performance.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back