Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would expect about a 1 degree difference between the sump where the heaters are located and the display tank. I'm seeing a 2-2.5 degree difference. Not terrible but I'm wondering if it might be because the return pump is only able to run at 50% or so.
Tank is 210 gallons, sump is a ~40 gallon Trigger systems CR44.
I have a Finex 800w titanium heater in the first section and a 300w heater in the refugium section. Both are on Inkbird controllers. The 300w is my backup and set 1 degree below the 800.
The return pump is a Current -USA eFlux DC 3170 gph pump. They are sending me a new controller to replace the original which causes the pump to start/stop when trying to run it over ~50%. I guess I'll know for sure next week but wondering if others are seeing a 2 degree or more difference between the sump and DT.

As an aside, when I left the hobby 10 years ago the general rule was running a reef tank at 80-82 degrees as that's what the Pacific reefs we're at. Now I'm seeing the recommendation for 75-78 for most SPS coral. What changed?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

killer2001

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an aside, when I left the hobby 10 years ago the general rule was running a reef tank at 80-82 degrees as that's what the Pacific reefs we're at. Now I'm seeing the recommendation for 75-78 for most SPS coral. What changed?

I think the general consensus is 78-82 degrees but more favorable at the lower end in the event temperature rises you have a little buffer zone to work with. If you keep your tank at 80 or 82 you might not catch a temperature spike in time before its too late and death occurs.

Top Shelf Aquatics

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good calls on the probes. I also wonder what the difference between the room and tank is. 800w could easily be underpowered for a setup like that.
I'm not sure what kind of indoor temperature would be needed to render an 800w heater ineffective in a tank around 200 gallons... I keep a 100 gallon system at 78f with indoor temp of 70f and have a 150w heater

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
cmor1701d

cmor1701d

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the probes are in the sump. Testing is done with a Hanna temperature probe or a scientific glass thermometer. So I test in sump where the heaters are and in the display tank using the handheld Hanna probe. Both Inkbirds are within .1 degrees of each other.

The reason for also having a glass thermometer is that I used to see a 2 degree difference between glass or cheap plastic mercury thermometers and digital probes. I worked in pharma at the time and asked our quality metrics folks to check both for me. Precise temperature control is rather important when making drugs. They saw the same 2 degree difference and said the mercury thermometers were correct. Their very expensive electronic thermometers are calibrated against the type of glass thermometer I have. I was concerned because at 80-82 degrees, being off by 2 degrees could be catastrophic.
Things have improved as the glass thermometer reads within .1 of all the electronic probes.
I'm now setting my tank for 78 high with a low alarm at 76.

Thanks all for the replies.

Oh, btw, as the tank is directly in front of the house thermostat, I replaced that with an Ecobee and 2 smart remotes. The main unit still controls the HVAC, but the main unit is not used to determine room temperature. The 2 remotes do that. Gotta love the new tech.

CLICK TO VIEW
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

Mark Lang

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally quit fighting the difference in temperature between my sump and tank. My probes are in the overflow and heaters are in sump. My thinking is two-fold: 1. My fish and coral don't care what the temperature is in the sump. They care about tank temperature. So I measure in the tank (overflow). 2. When I was measuring in sump and tank, trying to chase a solution to narrowing that difference was annoying at best. Now that I don't care what the sump temperature is, I don't have to chase a difference. I check and calibrate probes periodically using a calibrated reference thermometer. Measuring in the larger volume tank gives me more stable results as well.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back