Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought some TDO pellets (x-small) and realize I have been making a mistake not doing this sooner. The Biota mandarins eat them right up and they will sit on the rock work until they come by to feast.

I had been doing Hikari frozen brine and frozen can o cyclops and the challenge with this is the pieces are so small they suspend in the water and I don’t think the mandarins have a chance to get too much. I have a feeling this tiny food ends up creating a ton of nitrates in the tank too since its so inefficient and probably gets clogged everywhere.

Now my question - how the heck do I figure out how many daily pellets of these super tiny 400 micron things so they get enough but I don’t blast the nitrates?

Also - should I retire the hikari baby brine and can o cyclops or just severely limit it? I also do monthly pods so the mandarins are super fed.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a dozen or so pellets twice a day.
Should I put them on the same rock every time and hope to train them to go there to find it or spread around? The other challenge is I have 10 other fish but if its sitting on rocks the other fish dont usually touch it, might just mean if I spread it around I’d need more.

Nutramar Foods

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I put them on the same rock every time and hope to train them to go there to find it or spread around? The other challenge is I have 10 other fish but if its sitting on rocks the other fish dont usually touch it, might just mean if I spread it around I’d need more.
I found a feeder works best to target feed my mandarins.

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by feeder? Like a pipette or a specific device?
Pipette, baster, etc. Even a syringe if the tip is wise enough. The longer the tube the easier it is to get it nearer to the fish without startling it.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Precise.Accurate.Reliable.ICP-OES by Reef Labs
Back