+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Posting here asking for grace and advice as I try to navigate what the heck just happened to my tank. I was using this tank as a temporary/QT tank while my bigger tank (40 gallon breeder) cycles through.

20 gallon high
Salinity:1.025
Nitrates:0
Nitrates: 0
Alk: 289
pH: 8.4
Temp: 76

Had this setup for 3, almost 4 months now. Added CaribSea live sand and imagitarium brand Pacific water when setting up + dry rock. Things started off well, I added 1 Black Ocellaris and 2 Ocellaris clownfish (later learned that I should’ve only added 2, the BO was territorial). I then added 2 Chromis about a week later. *note, I was naive and didn’t invest in a QT, now I wish I did*

Eventually added a few more fish in anticipation of my 40GB almost done cycling. Got a hold of a Blue Tang from my LFS and it was going well, 4 days later it had an outbreak of white spots which I suspect was Ich. I began Ich treatment in my entire tank hoping to prevent any other outbreaks + because I read that once one has it, they all will probably catch it. (I did this for 3 days, per the directions on the bottle)

Fearing that it caught Ich because of stress and lack of suitable hiding spots, I went to LFS and purchased some live rock to add to the tank. The Blue Tang ended up passing a day or so later. About two weeks later and I noticed a few white spots on a few more fish, my Black Ocellaris and a Coral Beauty I had gotten a hold of (again, in anticipation of my 40GB). At the same time, my tank started growing an orange/brown algae which I suspected was diatom algae. Last night, my tank wasn’t looking so hot. I had a couple fish down at the bottom, not much movement and they just seemed to really struggle. Started another round of Ich treatment last night, second dose 12 hours later. I got back from work and things turn a terrible turn, I had my Coral Beauty was struggling, I ran to my LFS to seek advice and trying to figure out what to do. I came back home and found my coral beauty stopped moving and wasn’t breathing anymore- goner. I decided to try and do a water change in hopes that something would work. Within 2 hours my CB was gone. I pivoted my plan and decides to invest in a smaller tank to isolate the fish that we’re still looking okay. I put my 2 Ocellaris clownfish in there. Currently writing this as my Chromis are struggling and not able to swim and my BO is on the same boat.

At this point I’m a at a loss and I’m not sure what to do. I’ve accepted that this is a learning lesson and decided to break down my 40 while I get through this (emotionally, mentally, financially).

Hoping that my clownfish make it so that I can approach homing them better, and giving a more educated shot at this hobby.

Again, asking for some grace and support in navigating this. Please keep negativity away, I was reluctant to post this but acknowledge that I can only get better through learning from others that have the experience I don’t.

Thanks in advance!

Avast

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Posting here asking for grace and advice as I try to navigate what the heck just happened to my tank. I was using this tank as a temporary/QT tank while my bigger tank (40 gallon breeder) cycles through.

20 gallon high
Salinity:1.025
Nitrates:0
Nitrates: 0
Alk: 289
pH: 8.4
Temp: 76

Had this setup for 3, almost 4 months now. Added CaribSea live sand and imagitarium brand Pacific water when setting up + dry rock. Things started off well, I added 1 Black Ocellaris and 2 Ocellaris clownfish (later learned that I should’ve only added 2, the BO was territorial). I then added 2 Chromis about a week later. *note, I was naive and didn’t invest in a QT, now I wish I did*

Eventually added a few more fish in anticipation of my 40GB almost done cycling. Got a hold of a Blue Tang from my LFS and it was going well, 4 days later it had an outbreak of white spots which I suspect was Ich. I began Ich treatment in my entire tank hoping to prevent any other outbreaks + because I read that once one has it, they all will probably catch it. (I did this for 3 days, per the directions on the bottle)

Fearing that it caught Ich because of stress and lack of suitable hiding spots, I went to LFS and purchased some live rock to add to the tank. The Blue Tang ended up passing a day or so later. About two weeks later and I noticed a few white spots on a few more fish, my Black Ocellaris and a Coral Beauty I had gotten a hold of (again, in anticipation of my 40GB). At the same time, my tank started growing an orange/brown algae which I suspected was diatom algae. Last night, my tank wasn’t looking so hot. I had a couple fish down at the bottom, not much movement and they just seemed to really struggle. Started another round of Ich treatment last night, second dose 12 hours later. I got back from work and things turn a terrible turn, I had my Coral Beauty was struggling, I ran to my LFS to seek advice and trying to figure out what to do. I came back home and found my coral beauty stopped moving and wasn’t breathing anymore- goner. I decided to try and do a water change in hopes that something would work. Within 2 hours my CB was gone. I pivoted my plan and decides to invest in a smaller tank to isolate the fish that we’re still looking okay. I put my 2 Ocellaris clownfish in there. Currently writing this as my Chromis are struggling and not able to swim and my BO is on the same boat.

At this point I’m a at a loss and I’m not sure what to do. I’ve accepted that this is a learning lesson and decided to break down my 40 while I get through this (emotionally, mentally, financially).

Hoping that my clownfish make it so that I can approach homing them better, and giving a more educated shot at this hobby.

Again, asking for some grace and support in navigating this. Please keep negativity away, I was reluctant to post this but acknowledge that I can only get better through learning from others that have the experience I don’t.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Are there invertebrates in the tank also?
If they are doing well, then it is usually a fish disease, not water quality issues.
Can you post a short video of the fish?

I think your fish are still battling ich parasites. What medication are you using? You said it would cure them in 3 days, but no medication I know of can cure ich that fast.

Jay

Nutramar Foods

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I read correctly, it seems like you added 5 fish very quickly to a 20 gallon tank. I dont think a tang should go into a 20 tall, not even for QT, it is too small of swimming space. It sounds like extreme stress to the fish which brought on disease.

Cell

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 clowns, blue tang, coral beauty, 2 chromis. Is this complete list of fish?

If you continue to add new unquarantined fish to this 20G tank you will likely continue to have problems. I would slow down, treat the fish you currently have with the proper medication/treatment once Jay nails down a diagnosis, and don't add anything more until you get the 40B set up and can use the 20 as a proper QT.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get photos of the fish under white light so we can make sure it is ich.

No medication can work in 3 days. You need copper for ich for 30 days.

40g isn’t big enough for a blue tang.

Proper stocking of appropriate fish and go slow with additions and QT them is the way.

You don’t want to set up a tank and just toss all the fish in. The show TANKED is an example of what not to do… those tanks were failures off screen.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Big Sale !! UP To 50% OFF !! On Fish Antibiotics
Back