Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking into upgrading from my nano reef to around 50 gallons. Currently I'm thinking it's between the IM 50 Lagoon, either internal or external overflow, although if anyone knows of a comparable system in a similar price range ($1700ish) I'd be open to suggestions. My current setup is an AIO which I really liked, but I think I'm leaning towards the sump version for the upgrade to have more flexibility down the line.

The EXT tank has a Herbie design, with only a small overflow grill in one corner of the tank, and the return on the opposite side. The INT model is coast to coast with a Bean Animal design. As this would be my first setup with a sump I'm not sure what factors I might be overlooking to weigh up these options and would love to hear any opinions or experiences you have!
Coast to coast with bean animal sounds nicer but I hate the real estate I'm losing in the display (~6" of front to back depth). Thanks!

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a personal choice. I personnaly like external overflow. It allows for better water flow in aquarium due to less corners to deal with and get around

Sounds like you Iike the extra space in aquarium. Go with the gut.

OP
OP
saltcats

saltcats

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a personal choice. I personnaly like external overflow. It allows for better water flow in aquarium due to less corners to deal with and get around

Sounds like you Iike the extra space in aquarium. Go with the gut.
Thanks - I probably am leaning towards the external. Either way the tank is a big upgrade for me but I have mapped it out with some cardboard and the internal overflow looks like it's just cutting into the space so much!

I figured it was mostly personal preference but with the differences between the plumbing styles I wanted to see if there was a strong consensus towards the bean animal vs the herbie :) Sounds like it's not really such a big deal.

Fiji cube
I was eyeing the Fiji cube 48 gallon shallow which looks to be the same dimensions! It's a pretty tank for sure. Sounds like it doesn't ship with a pump included, do you know what type of sump pump I should be looking at?

I have an Innovative Marine tank currently and love the quality of the build - why I'd been looking at their models primarily. Fiji doesn't seem to have many reviews which makes me wary.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Ecotech Marine
Back