Tank upgrade process. Your thoughts on this process of moving corals and fish over to new tank.

Serdynskik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning a tank upgrade move and came up with this process and can’t find anyone that has done it this way and want thoughts on if this is smart or not. I’m upgrading from an approximate 75 gallon tank to an approximate 125 gallon tank. My thought is to set up the new aquarium with live sand and run a complete cycle. Once cycled, and confirm that the salt, alk, temps, ph are the same, complete a water change with all of the existing aquarium water and move the corals and fish over at that time. The existing lights will be transferred to the new tank with the addition of one more light at this time as well. Any suggestions?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

WalkerLovesTheOcean

I love acans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Your plan sounds good except I would move over 1 or 2 fish, wait a couple days, move another few, then repeat the process until all your fish are over, then transfer the corals.

00W

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Welcome to R2R!
I have moved many smaller established tanks into bigger ones all in the same day no worries.
As @WalkerLovesTheOcean has mentioned, you can also do it a little at a time too since your rock is your established biofilter.
If you do it this way make sure you put your most aggressive fish in last.
Feel free to ask lots of questions that's what we're here for!

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Reef!
I am moving a 75 to a 120 my self. I have a bunch of older cycled rock from a fish only tank that has been scrubbed in the tank I am taking down and is now sitting in a large bin with power heads, heater and a clarkii keeping it live. The plan is to set the tank up with new ocean direct live sand and the rock in my bin. I will then add 20 pounds of TBS live sand. Once I confirm no nutrients spike, I will move everything over I will pull the rock out of the 75 gallon and place in the new 120. I will then add all of the fish and inverts all at once. I have 20 pounds of TBS live rock in my old sump that will be transferred to the new sump. Anyway, that is how I'm doing mine.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back