Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon long almost 3 year old tank. Almost always had green hair algae. Has not taken over but I am always fighting it. Chaeto, Algecide, hydrogen peroxide, Microbactor 7, Razor, pulling it. I have tried them all. I keep my nitrates at about1 and my phosphate at about 0.02 by carbon dosing - NOPOX. That at least makes it easy to pull. Here I am filling up a 70 gallon tank with 20 gallon sump. I would like to move all my rocks and coral over but will I be fighting this algae for the rest of my life? If I don't transfer, will I get algae any way? In the new tank I will run an algae scrubber and I will get a tang and a rabbit fish. Will that take care of it? I would hate to get rid of my corals and rock. What should I do?

Nutramar Foods

nuxx

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably start clean with cycled dry rock or get some nice Australian Live Rock and start clean.

Rock isn't that $$$ and you'll probably end up spending more trying to fight the algae.

My 10+ Tangs didn't touch any rock algae...

Main issue is you need to find out why the algae got out of control? Nutrients too high?

OP
OP
D

Dave Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If 10m tangs did not get rid of your algae, how did you do it? How can you get rid of algae. Once again, I don't have high nutrients. Nitrates = 1 and phosphate = 0.02 on the Red Sea low range kits.

Nutramar Foods

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would move everything over to the new tank but as i take the rocks out directly spray the gha with peroxide. Let sit for a minute then into a brute can with fresh saltwater. Then just add a new scopus or tomini tang to the new tank.
I'd probably start clean with cycled dry rock or get some nice Australian Live Rock and start clean.

Rock isn't that $$$ and you'll probably end up spending more trying to fight the algae.

My 10+ Tangs didn't touch any rock algae...

Main issue is you need to find out why the algae got out of control? Nutrients too high?

This seems very odd. Like i get it if you had a bunch of blue hippos and maybe nasos. But like how is this possible? You must have feed them really well.

If any GHA comes from my sump into the DT my and and Foxface fight over getting to it first.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In review of your issue. It appears you tried everything except a proper CUC. They are often over looked and under populated.

I would move my things over and get proper CUC and keep my parms in check. You can always scrap and pull the majority of algae off in the move.

Wakenbaker420

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
D

Dave Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Astreas, Mexican turbos and other snails without any great benefit. They seem to spend 90% of their time on the glass - where there is not much algae. I have tried a little to "train" them as some have suggested by moving to rocks. IDK if that works at all. While I have not had many coral or fish die, the snails do not seem to last that long. A few months?

Nutramar Foods

Megaloptera

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get 45$ worth of these snails for each one of my tanks along with two tuxedo urchins from algae barn. I also went with the blue Atlantic tang from reeftopia and it's been great. Definitely can't beat the prices
What size tank do you have for your Atlantic Blue Tang? I've been questioning whether or not a 250g is big enough.

Megaloptera

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHA has always been an issue for me but I feel like I've made some successful steps. GHA can manufacture its own nutrient needs in the absence of nutrients from the surrounding tank water. I see the most growth after I do all of my maintenance on the same day: water change, filter sock change, skimmer cleaning. I actually space them out now since I need to keep some nutrients going and at a more stable level. Also, I think the clean up crew is essential as well. My Lytechinus variegatus, "short spined or decorator" urchins do a great job at maintaining the rock AFTER I've brushed the big filaments off. A good bristle brush is very helpful. I like the QANVEE-Aluminum-Magnesium-Aquarium-Stainless off of amazon. It has longer bristles that are spaced apart and it gets the filaments off the rock nicely.

Wakenbaker420

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have for your Atlantic Blue Tang? I've been questioning whether or not a 250g is big enough.
I have a 100gal main display and the tang does great in there keeping it clean. Sps dominate tank and it hasn't touch any corals. Had it almost a year now, got it as a juvenile from reeftopia for like $23. With no yellow tangs available and all other species of tangs at just stupid prices, I went with the Atlantic blue tang. I couldn't be happier with the little guy and can't beat the price. I'm into the coral and not the fish so no sense throwing money away on over priced tangs. IMO these fish are underrated and over looked and surprised more people don't have them.

Wakenbaker420

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230419_122619.jpg

paragrouper

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the ticket. I actually had some successfully hatch in tank and now I have loads of them cruising around.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Astreas, Mexican turbos and other snails without any great benefit. They seem to spend 90% of their time on the glass - where there is not much algae. I have tried a little to "train" them as some have suggested by moving to rocks. IDK if that works at all. While I have not had many coral or fish die, the snails do not seem to last that long. A few months?
If your snails are not lasting that long. It sounds like there may be an issue there as well. If you dont have crabs eating them. They should be fat and happy with all the algae. Also some people say. 1 urchin = about 10 snails. So an urchin is great for mowing through the algae.

Avast
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock and Live Sand
Back