Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this Black Friday I purchased a Nuvo 10 for about $50(Aquacave rocks!) and I want to transfer everything from my Nuvo 8. I just don't know if the process would go smoothly if I carefully transfer the sand without much stirring or ditch it all together.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything but the sand........unless you leave that for last and then thoroughly clean and rinse the sand. After cleaning and rinsing, sand can be put back in the tank by using a piece of PVC pipe that is slightly longer than the depth of the tank.....I use 1 1/2 inch pipe. With the pipe in the tank pressed against the bottom glass, fill the pipe with sand. Slightly lift the pipe and slowly move it about to distribute the sand. Repeat until all sand is in the tank.

The other option is to pitch the sand and start with new sand.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did something like this recently - from a 65 gallon to a 220 gallon.

Transferred all the rock and corals with just a swish in the old tankwater. Transferred _some_ of the unwashed sand, scattering it about as a top-coat over mostly new sand, then put the remainder of the sand into 5-gallon buckets (about six-eight inches of sand in each bucket) and took it outside to rinse it with a garden hose. When the water ran pretty clear, I used that to fill in some of the areas in the new tank that were getting blasted by the current.

The big tank is still fairly new, but everything seems to be growing well ... except for M. lordhowensis. The first one I tried disintegrated, the one I have now is ... getting by. Doesn't seem to be doing as well as the birdsnest above it, or the acros above that.

So my answer to your poll would be a qualified "yes" to _all_three_ choices!

~Bruce

Snookin

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same with a nuvo 16 to a nuvo 20. I ditched the old sand a used new sand. It's a small tank and the new sand was <$20. But, if you are super budget conscience just rinse thoroughly in RODI and drain to get as much organic matter out. Then add to new tank and hope it doesn't cause a mini cycle.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Torch SALE
Back