Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 IM in my classroom at school. I decided to do a refresh to the tank. The tank is stocked with inverts and macroalgae only. I have been trolling Gulf Coast Ecosystems for a while and that had some unique algae in stock, so I decided to pull the trigger and order. I order some macro algae, gorgonians, mushrooms and some snails. I was very impressed with the quantity, quality and packing of the livestock. I do live about an 1 1/2 away from it, but shipping was only $20, so it was more convenient and probably cheaper for me to have it shipped. Here is a picture of the tank and some of the items I ordered. The tank is a little cloudy because I had some Halimeda go sexually, and the water was quite green. I took out as much water as I could and replaced it with new water and am running some carbon and Aquachar.

IMG_2046 (1).jpeg

Blue Hypnea (Hypnea Pannosa)
IMG_2047.jpeg

Galaxuara
IMG_2048.jpeg

Codium
IMG_2049.jpeg

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Ichtha_yo Stuff

Ichtha_yo Stuff

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a great teaching tool. They learn a lot about biology and chemistry from the tank. I have a few students every year that show great interest. I teach them the basics of taking care of a tank and testing water. It is beneficial for them and me.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Ichtha_yo Stuff

Ichtha_yo Stuff

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! I've never seen galaxies before very cool.
Yes, he has it in stock periodically. So once I saw it was in stock, I put an order in quickly. It is a very bright pink/red color. It looks best under white light, but it does have some fluorescent pigment under blues, kind of like dragons' breath. It feels stiff, but not brittle with a spongy feel.

OP
OP
Ichtha_yo Stuff

Ichtha_yo Stuff

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has cleared up and everything is looking amazing. I have 4 other reef tanks that are all bangin and this one is my favorite by far. There are pods everywhere on the gas. I guess it is do to the lack of fish in the tank. The colors are unreal. The blue on the hypnea looks fake, the galaxaura is so hot pink. The gorgonian are so healthy and and colorful too. I hope I can provide the proper nutrition so that they will maintain the color. I am currently dosing cheato grow twice a week and I have some neo nitrate on hand if the nitrates get to low. I am also planning on doing 10% water changes weekly to replace any trace elements. Any other suggestions? I have some All for Reef at home on my other tank. I could start dosing that too. I am getting tempted to add some fish, but I like the behavior I am seeing from the inverts. I believe this is because the lack of fish makes them feel more comfortable to be out. What are your thoughts.

IMG_2099 (2).jpeg

IMG_2101 (1).jpeg

IMG_2100.jpeg

Last edited:
Avast

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful mixed garden. You are correct about inverts & pods being embolden with no predators. I used ammonia to keep up with nitrogen demand, which was excessive because of large patch of fast growing Caulerpa Paspoides. I have replaced ChaetoGrow with liquid seaweed concentrate.

Your students are fortunate. What subject matter do you teach?

OP
OP
Ichtha_yo Stuff

Ichtha_yo Stuff

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful mixed garden. You are correct about inverts & pods being embolden with no predators. I used ammonia to keep up with nitrogen demand, which was excessive because of large patch of fast growing Caulerpa Paspoides. I have replaced ChaetoGrow with liquid seaweed concentrate.

Your students are fortunate. What subject matter do you teach?
Thanks for the feedback. Where do you get the seaweed concentrate. Does it work better, or is it more cost effect? Currently, I work with 1-3 gifted students.

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. Where do you get the seaweed concentrate. Does it work better, or is it more cost effect? Currently, I work with 1-3 gifted students.
Quite a few different products listed on Amazon. I am using

https://bioxtreme.com/pages/products

Liquid Seaweed Premium Concentrate​

“BioXtreme Liquid Seaweed is an all-natural biological product, derived fromAscophyllum nodosumsustainably harvested from cold, pristine waters off the US coast of Maine. Once harvested, the seaweed is air-dried and transported to our manufacturing facility where it undergoes a proprietary, water-based extraction process.Our extraction process is non-destructive, maintaining the integrity and efficacy of all beneficial components

A versatile concentrated liquid kelp extract derived fromAscophyllum nodosum. The wealth of amino acids, alginic acids, phytohormones, vitamins, minerals, and trace elements are preserved and readily bioavailable in the finished product. A pH of 3.5 keeps micronutrients in solution to prevent the formation of salts that clog spray equipment.
Our BioXtreme Liquid Seaweed is also available to formulators and manufacturers. Contact us to learn more.”

Note: ChaetoGrow has 12 trace minerals, BioXtreme has:

“It isn’t only the high nutrient concentration that makes seaweed beneficial for plant growth. Containing over 60 minerals, trace elements, vitamins, amino acids, phytohormones, and beneficial microbes, Ascophyllum nodosumseaweed is a natural resource providing benefits far surpassing the use of traditional fertilizers”

Last edited:
Corals.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Torch SALE
Back