Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I have been fighting Dino in my nano10 gallon tank. I plan to redo my tank which has corals and one fish. Is it possible to do this in one day in the same tank? What should I keep in mind while doing this? What would be the steps I need to carry out without causing a cycle in the tank? I can go buy premixed saltwater if needed
thanks everyone for your help. It’s a bit urgent for me

prdubois

Check out my 225gal: https://www.reef2reef.com/th
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try using Vibrant
1619624593308.png

Top Shelf Aquatics

zukihara

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in no way questioning your tests, but how is it even possible to have zero nitrates in a 10 gallon nano? Do you have a large nutrient export system or something hooked to it?

I assume the vibrant would, in theory, help by introducing additional bacteria to the tank.

Also, try dosing phyto for another easy, natural solution.

(ahh I see, no nutrients because the dinos are reducing them)

OP
OP
S

ssagar89

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in no way questioning your tests, but how is it even possible to have zero nitrates in a 10 gallon nano? Do you have a large nutrient export system or something hooked to it?

I assume the vibrant would, in theory, help by introducing additional bacteria to the tank.

Also, try dosing phyto for another easy, natural solution.

(ahh I see, no nutrients because the dinos are reducing them)
Yes that’s correct, initially I never did water changes and my tank was doing great. Recently just being anxious about alk n stuff I started doing weekly water changes that’s when the dinos erupted. I assume the nutrients bottomed out consistenctly. So now I am dosing microbacter 7 along with nitrates and phosphates . I see no substantial difference. Added hv too. I was think what if I keep my rocks and setup a new tank. Would that help my corals ?

Nutramar Foods

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is no method ever invented to make a nano reef last longer than that link I edited in. its your exact request/1st post only as a work thread, w outcomes. check it out let me know

times we can use that method to make any nano do our bidding:

home moves, we move clean vs dirty tanks

cyano infestations

gha infestations

dinos

general maintenance, this is beneficial to a reef not harmful. lemme know what you think of the work example link I just edited back in. we took apart the reef, cleaned it, put it back full skip cycle. notice what we did to the sandbed, that part is crucial. we blasted it sideways note the details, we weren't nice. we were surgically thorough.

zukihara

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that’s correct, initially I never did water changes and my tank was doing great. Recently just being anxious about alk n stuff I started doing weekly water changes that’s when the dinos erupted. I assume the nutrients bottomed out consistenctly. So now I am dosing microbacter 7 along with nitrates and phosphates . I see no substantial difference. Added hv too. I was think what if I keep my rocks and setup a new tank. Would that help my corals ?
I think Brandon does some good work, but I do not agree with him here based on the info in that thread being all encompassing research covering every nano.

Obviously, a rip clean would help but you may be right back in the situation soon enough. Can you post some pics so people can get a better idea of how big this issue is by chance?

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a neat way to look at it is that a rip clean can't harm anything, we have thousands on file/where the outcome prediction comes from. its 98% likely to fix in one pass/current performance rates from the example links.

we're so used to working with ten gallon setups its not even a challenge, the twenty K$ sps reefs are the tough ones.

the ideal system is to make a clean, uninvaded tank, low organics storage and high on feed input/exchange water action vs sedentary reefing which is how we arrive at rip cleaning

do everything opposite of waiting, hoping, and seeing what happens. make your reef ready by 5 pm today

then apply all known dinos prevention techniques. there is no requirement for you to remain invaded, that's a large tank owners only option. they hate when nano reefers break rules, but its a benefit you've selected given the tank size. they get all the good fish.

you have the ability to seek tank balance in the invaded condition where all viewers get an excuse

or you can seek challenge balance with a reef they already like to look at, and you're having to work a bit harder than norm bc this isn't goldfish keeping. in all cases, deep cleaning helps you on future invasions not even currently factored...one benefit of using work threads for prediction is the practice gained when in 2 mos after closing out gha issues they post back with the roughest cyano you've ever seen

this is 100% of Vibrant threads lol. Or the opposite: chemi clean for cyano, total GHA dominance in 50 days the wheel goes round and round

Last edited:
AS

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we don't check for those factors when moving homes, consider how that always turns out

was the method harmful here:

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we don't check for those factors when moving homes, consider how that always turns out

was the method harmful here:
confused if that was responding to me? is the op moving or just planning on redoing the 10 gallon tank, just a bit confused myself

Nutramar Foods

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it isn't possible to attach a danger/tank upset or poor outcome from the method after reading any of the links provided

we wouldn't need to know params, ID of the invasion, the method isn't harmful its general maintenance for any nano reef as an option.

in the sand rinse thread, that's pertinent because in fifty pages its a mix of home moves, cyano fixes, dinos fixes, using one sole approach (more than a third of the fixes are for tanks staying in place, though we use home-move cleaning technique)

the general web reader would think the method is harsh, or only applicable for home moves since we're forced to take action anyway and that's the best/safest option

but earnestly reading the links shows that a one pass deep clean has the highest fix rate and actual pics logged for most claimed options, and that we don't need to know his params or invader type makes the option even better.

there are no dinos species that can beat us in a ten gallon tank, not any. even if this is just entry level diatoms, the cleaned nano runs better not worse we can see it in rolls of examples above. sight unseen, the method has no equal for nanos.

*in a huge tank we can't just cheat so easy. agreed all the careful steps is best, so you get the most mileage out of actions. but a ten gallon just doesn't even play on the same board, they have an options ruleset that is nearly totally unfair to all large tank owners. the don't look back option.

times where its not ideal to rip clean a ten gallon: when trying to find new ways to beat invasions. if you just want it fixed so you can reef, then rip clean lol.

Last edited:

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, brandon you linked 48 pages worth of threads, i obv wasnt going to read all of it. I do appreciate you linking it though. Please post the pages where the pertinent information is next time please so i know where to go.
But was a bit confused still, maybe because i havent read through both forums fully, do you think that tank transfer is the best or only way to relieve a small tank from dinos? Idk because i dont have that small of a tank though

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Back