Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have read and talked to an experienced local hobbyist about adding a larger Gold SpottedRabbitfish to an existing smaller One spot Foxface. They said if they are not added far apart they will likely be okay d/t the difference in snout type. I don't know man, kind of skeptical, so I wanted to put this idea out into a larger pool of experience.

This would be for a 180g, a tank on the smaller side of the 6 foot spectrum. My alternative option would be to get a White Tail Bristletooth or another Bristletooth type of Tang. Big difference in money, but hardiness + compatibility is more important imo.

AS

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have read and talked to an experienced local hobbyist about adding a larger Gold SpottedRabbitfish to an existing smaller One spot Foxface. They said if they are not added far apart they will likely be okay d/t the difference in snout type. I don't know man, kind of skeptical, so I wanted to put this idea out into a larger pool of experience.

This would be for a 180g, a tank on the smaller side of the 6 foot spectrum. My alternative option would be to get a White Tail Bristletooth or another Bristletooth type of Tang. Big difference in money, but hardiness + compatibility is more important imo.
They could work if you add them rather close together however if you add one one year then wait the next year to get the other it’s less likely to work long term. Also, get both as small as possible, the larger you get the first one then it’s less likely to work.

OP
OP
YoubetyourWrasse

YoubetyourWrasse

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 4 inch or so
They could work if you add them rather close together however if you add one one year then wait the next year to get the other it’s less likely to work long term. Also, get both as small as possible, the larger you get the first one then it’s less likely to work.
I have maybe 4 inch or so One spot currently. The Gold Spotted Rabbit has been at the LFS for around 6 months and is at least an inch bigger and looks like it eats pretty well tbh. What are your thoughts?

Avast

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Ive never had an issue with one spot other than it bothering coral and has always been peaceful as an inhabitant

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never had an issue with one spot other than it bothering coral and has always been peaceful as an inhabitant
All rabbits are peaceful unless you incorrectly mix rabbits together.
I have the 4 inch or so

I have maybe 4 inch or so One spot currently. The Gold Spotted Rabbit has been at the LFS for around 6 months and is at least an inch bigger and looks like it eats pretty well tbh. What are your thoughts?
That should work however I would remain cautious and have an acclimation box at the ready.

OP
OP
YoubetyourWrasse

YoubetyourWrasse

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That should work however I would remain cautious and have an acclimation box at the ready.
I am basically getting them in the tank for employment for nuissance algae that could arise. In terms of both hardiness and compatibility weighted into the decision...more so hardiness. Which would be a better add, the cheaper Rabbitfish or a white tailed Bristletooth (please be impartial to asthetics haha).

World Wide Corals

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Now thats a problem. Its a potential war. I had to throw fish in all the time with Rabbits at my lfs and never had an issue and in keeping one, trying another pretty one was always a Bad idea

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am basically getting them in the tank for employment for nuissance algae that could arise. In terms of both hardiness and compatibility weighted into the decision...more so hardiness. Which would be a better add, the cheaper Rabbitfish or a white tailed Bristletooth (please be impartial to asthetics haha).
If you ask me, I prefer my Rabbits over the Tangs. Nothing in my eyes will beat the rabbit family!
However, bringing aesthetics into the mix I’d go and say something totally different. How about we throw in a Siganus virgatus and a Siganus doliatus into the ring?
Now thats a problem. Its a potential war. I had to throw fish in all the time with Rabbits at my lfs and never had an issue and in keeping one, trying another pretty one was always a Bad idea
I will say, having several is never going to 100% be a bad idea. I have mixed Siganids together in 6’ tanks successfully and I know of an 8’ tank that has Atleast 4 Siganus species in the same tank. So whilst it can go wrong, it’s like mixing tangs but the less reef safe version :)

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Battlecorals
Back