+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a fallow 55 gallon tank with inverts and corals in it.

I have 2 clowns in copper. While all this is going on, I decided to upgrade to a waterbox 110.4.

I am wondering if I should move my rock over right away and forgo the fallow period, since I won't be QT inverts or corals, just fish. So I'll always be running the risk of Ich. I would really like to reuse my 40 pounds of rock I have. Should I keep my 55 running fallow and just buy new rock? Or is my 30-40 day fallow period good enough and the risk worth it? Idk. Why go fallow if a single ich drop from a snail could ruin everything again? Thanks for the advice.

Avast

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure I’m understanding this, but couldn’t you move everything from the 55 to the 110 and just finish the fallow period there?
You make an important point; going through all this only to have the first snail you buy bring ich right back in. I wish dealers wouldn’t put any fish in their invert systems.

The longer the tank lays fallow, the better it works. I used to use 45 days and always thought that was sufficient until a 1997 study by Colirini came out indicating 75 days can be needed in some instances. Noga goes as far as saying 90 days.

Jay

OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure I’m understanding this, but couldn’t you move everything from the 55 to the 110 and just finish the fallow period there?
You make an important point; going through all this only to have the first snail you buy bring ich right back in. I wish dealers wouldn’t put any fish in their invert systems.

The longer the tank lays fallow, the better it works. I used to use 45 days and always thought that was sufficient until a 1997 study by Colirini came out indicating 75 days can be needed in some instances. Noga goes as far as saying 90 days.

Jay
I could move everything and then let it stay fallow for 2 more months..

Here was my original plan.. new tank, 55 staying fallow. Clownfish will be housed in a sterile 24 gallon QT tank (hasn't been exposed to any copper yet, this is a different tank than what they're currently in) until the 110 is cycled. Then move clowns into cycled 110, and pick up some fish for a 30 day QT in the 24 gallon tank.

And then add my rocks from the 55 after 3 months is up.

But then I started thinking about all this, like why go fallow if there's no guarantee ever that I don't get ich again?

I could move everything and go fallow for 2 more months, but I was hoping to get the clowns into a bigger tank, and then buy more fish for QT. Idk just thinking out loud

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, you’re keeping both the 55 and the 110 running. I would go with a 45 day quarantine for the new fish - 30 days copper and 2 weeks prazi.Jay

OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, you’re keeping both the 55 and the 110 running. I would go with a 45 day quarantine for the new fish - 30 days copper and 2 weeks prazi.Jay
Would you say it's worth continuing the fallow period if there's always a risk my inverts and corals will bring ich?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

SaltwaterAquarium.com
Back