Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my tank is little over a month old and and I used some live sand and bacteria to try to cycle it. About last week I tested the water and it was fine. However, I tested the water today and the parameters were: PH 8.4, Ammonia 2.0ppm, Nitrite .50ppm, and Nitrate 10ppm. My I placed in my Xenia last week and and it all fine until today. Right now, it's skinny and shriveled up a bit with little to no movement. What can I do to fix my parameters quick? I already did a 25% water change and added some Seachem Prime to detoxify the ammonia. Currently I have one clownfish who is very lively and a couple of blue leg hermits. Also, brown algae or diatoms I think have suddenly started appearing.

AquaCave Logo Banner
AquaCave Logo Banner

Aere

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would adding more bacteria like BioSpira help? Along with more water changes? I haven't dosed anything either. I just used the API Saltwater Master Testing Kit.

Were you at 0 ammonia before? Did you make sure your tank can cycle ammonia? Usually we recommend raising ammonia and seeing if your tank can clear 1-2ppm in 24 hours before adding anything. Ammonia will kill your creatures. Thats generally the sign your tank is cycled.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would adding more bacteria like BioSpira help? Along with more water changes? I haven't dosed anything either. I just used the API Saltwater Master Testing Kit.
I haven’t used the product you mention but I have used ATM colony (it may be similar) several times and that will certainly work. I think they do a similar job

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested about last week ago and there wasn't any. So I thought my tank was cycled. However, I just only tested for ammonia and nothing else. I thought that having 0 meant everything was fine.

Aere

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested about last week ago and there wasn't any. So I thought my tank was cycled. However, I just only tested for ammonia and nothing else. I thought that having 0 meant everything was fine.

You want to verify like I mentioned above. At this point do small water changes each day. Adding biospira or something similar wont hurt and follow the directions on the bottle (of whatever you add). And hope for the best.

Top Shelf Aquatics
AquaCave Logo Banner
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Pacific East
Back