Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just some pictures of a diy lid for my tank, using egg crate and zip ties. Lost 2 fish the last 6 months from jumping out and that’s just money down the drain. I did find some tops for my particular tank online but they want 100+ bucks. Na man lol.

0AFD6E04-CB0A-4E90-8E4B-659DFB8E66C6.jpeg 9C49C3AA-BE30-44B3-94F7-4BD1948DAA5E.jpeg

HankstankXXXL750

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I e done those on some of my tanks. However it depends on the size of fish. I have had fire fish and some others jump through the grate and found dead laying on top. Also have had some like fire fish jump through the 1/4” net. Not sure how they can be that accurate.

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just some pictures of a diy lid for my tank, using egg crate and zip ties. Lost 2 fish the last 6 months from jumping out and that’s just money down the drain. I did find some tops for my particular tank online but they want 100+ bucks. Na man lol.

View attachment 3040609 View attachment 3040611
I’d still lay mesh over it I like the idea though I did pexi

AquaCave Logo Banner

JC1977

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I e done those on some of my tanks. However it depends on the size of fish. I have had fire fish and some others jump through the grate and found dead laying on top. Also have had some like fire fish jump through the 1/4” net. Not sure how they can be that accurate.
Agreed I had two gobies make it through the egg crate also kind of amazing like you said with such small openings! Also something else to keep in mind is the egg crate does diffuse a lot lot from getting to the tank at least it did for me.

HankstankXXXL750

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of light sorry.
I use it on my predator tank and my QT tanks so not so important on light. I purchased two custom covers for two of my tanks and they were spendy.
so the rest I have done Red Sea DIY covers and customize them for feeding holes etc and am pretty happy with them.
The diffuser sets on to of my Red Sea rimless predator tank and I add air to it as I’m moving to a larger tank for them and it cause salt creep and water down the front. Will upgrade it to the DIY soon.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
I

Isiah1820

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed I had two gobies make it through the egg crate also kind of amazing like you said with such small openings! Also something else to keep in mind is the egg crate does diffuse a lot lot from getting to the tank at least it did fo

Man at that point so be it, lol. Cause that is a accurate jump. And the only fish I have that could fit is my yellow watchman, and he never leaves from under a rock he’s made his with a pistol shrimp. The fish I did before this lid was a clown, and a expensive hawk fish that I had for a grand total of a week. My bi colored blenny probably could fit through but he’s like my watchman and lives in a hole in one of the rocks, and he comes out to forage and eat right back in the hole. It’s so funny to watch him literally throw it in reverse to get back in. lol

HankstankXXXL750

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Man at that point so be it, lol. Cause that is a accurate jump. And the only fish I have that could fit is my yellow watchman, and he never leaves from under a rock he’s made his with a pistol shrimp. The fish I did before this lid was a clown, and a expensive hawk fish that I had for a grand total of a week. My bi colored blenny probably could fit through but he’s like my watchman and lives in a hole in one of the rocks, and he comes out to forage and eat right back in the hole. It’s so funny to watch him literally throw it in reverse to get back in. lol
Yellow watchman actually happens to be one I lost like this. But it was acting strange and hanging at the top of the tank for a couple days. He was one that made it through 1/4” mesh.

AquaCave Logo Banner

HankstankXXXL750

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of light diffusion, will it be a problem? I have 2 Prime HDs.
Unknown without a par meter to be honest. But you can pretty well tell visually. How much darker does the tank get when you put them on. I use white from Menards, Home Depot not as pretty but reflects so don’t think I lose as much.

OP
OP
I

Isiah1820

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow watchman actually happens to be one I lost like this. But it was acting strange and hanging at the top of the tank for a couple days. He was one that made it through 1/4” mesh.
Wow. Yea mine never strays far from where he has set up shop. The 2 fish I did lose to jumping I wasn’t surprised cause they frequented the top half of the tank. I’ll probably add mesh since some of you guys recommend it.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
I

Isiah1820

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I’ll have to wait till the lights are at full tilt to see cause I installed it later in the night when the lights where ramping down. I guess even after that Ill see how my coral react.

HankstankXXXL750

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Yea mine never strays far from where he has set up shop. The 2 fish I did lose to jumping I wasn’t surprised cause they frequented the top half of the tank. I’ll probably add mesh since some of you guys recommend it.
I used the 1/4” from like BRS and small zip ties.

biecacka

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you have a 3D insert printed for your tank, and then put the mesh in a “lip” so to speak?
I would love something like that for my tank too. Because some of the lids for $300+ is kind of crazy. I get it keeps fish in etc…..

corey

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Top Shelf Aquatics
Back