+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I was curious about tangs. Im new to the hobby and lve read a lot of conflicting info about what size tank tangs need. Some people say a 70 gallon is an okay size for the yellow tang or kole tang while others say no less than 150 for all tangs.

I have a 69 gallon red sea max tank. I really like the Kole tang and yellow tang and was wondering if one of them would be happy in the tank? (I know I dont have a size tank for two tangs for sure, but was more curious if one of those two could work?) I know they like a lot of swimming room, my tank is more cube than long but it has good open swimming space with how Ive set the live rock up.

I of course dont want to get one in the tank if they are going to be unhappy or stressed as I dont want to put them in a bad situation just for the sake of me wanting one.

Ive read some people say 15 gallons per tang in the tank.

Anyone who can help out?

Top Shelf Aquatics

KING KONG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I was curious about tangs. Im new to the hobby and lve read a lot of conflicting info about what size tank tangs need. Some people say a 70 gallon is an okay size for the yellow tang or kole tang while others say no less than 150 for all tangs.

I have a 69 gallon red sea max tank. I really like the Kole tang and yellow tang and was wondering if one of them would be happy in the tank? (I know I dont have a size tank for two tangs for sure, but was more curious if one of those two could work?) I know they like a lot of swimming room, my tank is more cube than long but it has good open swimming space with how Ive set the live rock up.

I of course dont want to get one in the tank if they are going to be unhappy or stressed as I dont want to put them in a bad situation just for the sake of me wanting one.

Anyone who can help out?
Kole tang needs 70 gallons and yellow tang needs min. 85 gallon.

drolmaeye

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Anyone who can help out?
For what it's worth, I am about to start the same tank and hoping to try a Kole tang. Like many of us in this hobby, I love tangs. Would love to try some other tangs so we'll see what happens if we decide to get a larger tank in the future (one step/tank at a time, I guess).

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

hsosa

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two lavender tangs for 3 years they were in a 20gallon when I first got them as a pair. now they're in a 60.2 waterbox. I would start with the kole tang . if u can start with both at the same time it would be much easier . of course u said ur new so I probably wouldn't start with tangs . a clown or something less expensive . once u got the hang of fish keeping go for the tangs good luck

stovenut

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like an earlier poster said...you should stock your tank with your other smaller fish like clowns, gobies, cardinals, wrasses, etc before adding a tang. Wait until after your brown algae stage, when you see green hair algae forming. A kole tang would be happy in your tank. If you bought both a kole and a yellow tang small and added them at the same time you'd be ok. But that's assuming great water parameters in an established tank over 6 months old, where the fish are well fed. I've had a happy purple and tomini in a 52 corner tank for well over 5 years before I took down the tank. But the chances that a tang or multiple tangs become territorial killers increases as you reduce their real estate.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hello,

Anyone who can help out?
having Many many tangs, in such size tank, you want to consider type/bennus of tang as well as growth potential. The key to yellows (which I have 6) is water quality management and DIET.
With that, you can safely house up to 4 safely providing cover/rock for them . My yellows shown below were in a 135g over a year as I had them with plans to move and with a delay just set up a 400g. Im not saying you can stuff them in there but you are not limited to one and need a giant tank for 3

1673628959528.png

CLICK TO VIEW

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
having Many many tangs, in such size tank, you want to consider type/bennus of tang as well as growth potential. The key to yellows (which I have 6) is water quality management and DIET.
With that, you can safely house up to 4 safely providing cover/rock for them . My yellows shown below were in a 135g over a year as I had them with plans to move and with a delay just set up a 400g. Im not saying you can stuff them in there but you are not limited to one and need a giant tank for 3

View attachment 2971847
That’s a tang clan !

I think you can do 1 . Ensure hiding spots and don’t crowd the tank.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Atlantik Icon  reef aquarium LED Bar
Back