Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller tang variety, bristletooth mostly (single) Baby/Smaller tang for a little while.
Hey, I really want to keep a tomini tang in there, but along with that I wanted to keep a yellow or purple tang. Do you think that a yellow or a purple tang will get too big for that tank? Please let me know, thank you!

Top Shelf Aquatics

TurboTang

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend only one tang in a tank that size. A bristletooth variety is best if you don't have a 6 foot tank. The purple and yellow tangs can get aggressive - especially if they are squeezed together closely with other tangs. They need to be able to get away from each other

dohc97

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most tangs will need a lot of room, a Tomini or bristletooth type should be ok, i would go with a small one and observe as it grows. If you see signs of aggressiveness or stress it will be time to get rid of it. No yellow or purple unless tiny babies and only for a short period of time. I keep a white tail bristletooth in a 4 foot 105 and feel that he might need to go if he ever gets much bigger than he currently is.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend only one tang in a tank that size. A bristletooth variety is best if you don't have a 6 foot tank. The purple and yellow tangs can get aggressive - especially if they are squeezed together closely with other tangs. They need to be able to get away from each other
Okie thanks!

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most tangs will need a lot of room, a Tomini or bristletooth type should be ok, i would go with a small one and observe as it grows. If you see signs of aggressiveness or stress it will be time to get rid of it. No yellow or purple unless tiny babies and only for a short period of time. I keep a white tail bristletooth in a 4 foot 105 and feel that he might need to go if he ever gets much bigger than he currently is.
I see, thanks!

Top Shelf Aquatics

radreef02

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am not an expert but this is my experience,

Yellow tang or bristle tooth should be okay for yoy, I have a 2tank and have had a YT in there for 6 months now. Normal behavior. I threw a bristle tooth in and the Yt and him never fought , only lasted a month though because the bristle tooth kept pacing the glass and I figured he would be better off in a bigger tank.

I wouldn’t recommend 2 tangs in a tank below 4ft. also Purple tang is too aggressive

For tangs it just depends, on the environment ( what fish is in there, rock scape, how often do you feed, water quality , also not every yellow or bristle tooth is the same. So I agree with above post , you need to observe

Everyone recommended a bristletooth instead of the YT and the bristle didn’t work for me.

in the end, although I’m sure I could get another year or 2 out of the cube with the tang .. I am planning a 5ft peninsula by next year.

rwreef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference, my Tomini is full grown and about 8 inches ( maybe more) he is huge. No more than one tang for this tank size imo.

Attachments

• 20220806_213554.jpg
    20220806_213554.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference, my Tomini is full grown and about 8 inches ( maybe more) he is huge. No more than one tang for this tank size imo.
I see, thank you! Hey um another question, how many tangs do you think I will be able to keep in a 150 gallon 5 feet long peninsula tank?

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am not an expert but this is my experience,

Yellow tang or bristle tooth should be okay for yoy, I have a 2tank and have had a YT in there for 6 months now. Normal behavior. I threw a bristle tooth in and the Yt and him never fought , only lasted a month though because the bristle tooth kept pacing the glass and I figured he would be better off in a bigger tank.

I wouldn’t recommend 2 tangs in a tank below 4ft. also Purple tang is too aggressive

For tangs it just depends, on the environment ( what fish is in there, rock scape, how often do you feed, water quality , also not every yellow or bristle tooth is the same. So I agree with above post , you need to observe

Everyone recommended a bristletooth instead of the YT and the bristle didn’t work for me.

in the end, although I’m sure I could get another year or 2 out of the cube with the tang .. I am planning a 5ft peninsula by next year.
I see, thanks! Hey um how many tangs do u plan on keeping in a 5 feet peninsula tank?

radreef02

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, thanks! Hey um how many tangs do u plan on keeping in a 5 feet peninsula tank?
Everyone has a different opinion on this topic which is why I say I am no expert but I plan to keep a Gem tang, Yellow tang, Yellow eye kole, and possibly another but I think 3 is good for me in the 150-120g. I’m looking at the Redsea peninsulas .

a 5 foot tank is much better than a 2ft cube but honestly these fish need an ocean. If my tang is healthy , no abnormal activity or constant fighting , I count that as she’s content and happy.

As soon as i begin to see a bunch of flashing or pacing or more fighting, she’s coming out. Always have another plan if you’re wanting to keep a tang.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has a different opinion on this topic which is why I say I am no expert but I plan to keep a Gem tang, Yellow tang, Yellow eye kole, and possibly another but I think 3 is good for me in the 150-120g. I’m looking at the Redsea peninsulas .

a 5 foot tank is much better than a 2ft cube but honestly these fish need an ocean. If my tang is healthy , no abnormal activity or constant fighting , I count that as she’s content and happy.

As soon as i begin to see a bunch of flashing or pacing or more fighting, she’s coming out. Always have another plan if you’re wanting to keep a tang.
Yeah. I might start with a 30 inch cube if I cannot find a proper space in the house, or else I will go with a 5 foot 150 gallon peninsula tank. If I can set that up, I plan on having a Tomini, Yellow, Purple, and Blue tang. If I do, then I will just trade out any of the tangs when they get too big and get a smaller one.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
UNLEASH THE FULL POTENTIAL OF YOUR REEF
Back