Tang stocking order

Kruss7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to transition some of my tanks into my new display. Just wondering how you would handle stocking order or would you add all at the same time.

6” Black tang
4” Naso
2” Bristletooth
2” Goldrim
2.5” Clown Tang
3.5” Scopus
2.5” Orange shoulder
1.5” Sailfin

Please let me know your thoughts.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would evaluate these fishes current disposition to help determine likely pecking order conditions and conflicts in the new environment. WIth these fishes currently under you care I think you have more useful information available from your personal observations that can guide your steps much more favorably than our application of "typical" fish dispositions from observations across many other individuals.

In my own example, my current dominant fish are a 3 inch TL Talbert (?)damsel (with one eye), or a 5" TL Copperband butterfly that is residing in another system. I have resisted moving the copperband (a serious aiptasia predator) into the Damsels system because the damsel and a 5" TL purple tang would probably create significant hostility and upset that entire system and the current pecking order that is relatively peaceful at the moment. I have decided to ignore the Aiptasia in favor of peace, but if I loose my cool I might move the fish with hopes of killing Aiptasia and hopefully nothing else.

I hope this helps get the discussion started. GL!

Magic031707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to transition some of my tanks into my new display. Just wondering how you would handle stocking order or would you add all at the same time.

6” Black tang
4” Naso
2” Bristletooth
2” Goldrim
2.5” Clown Tang
3.5” Scopus
2.5” Orange shoulder
1.5” Sailfin

I recommend doing all at once but ensure your tank biomedia is ready to acc9that biolaod

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

6” Black tang
4” Naso
2” Bristletooth
2” Goldrim
2.5” Clown Tang
3.5” Scopus
2.5” Orange shoulder
1.5” Sailfin

No! I'm not the Tang Police! But I gotta know how big your tank is lol!!!!

OP
OP
K

Kruss7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No! I'm not the Tang Police! But I gotta know how big your tank is lol!!!!
Tank is about 300 total

Haven’t decided yet if I want to split them up I do have a 6x2 frag tank as well but as thinking about doing it fishless

OP
OP
K

Kruss7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend doing all at once but ensure your tank biomedia is ready to acc9that biolaod
Tanks been up for a few months with media from my previous tanks and a handful of smaller fish. It’s supporting SPS right now just would be worried to shock it with a bunch of nutrients at once

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

6” Black tang
4” Naso
2” Bristletooth
2” Goldrim
2.5” Clown Tang
3.5” Scopus
2.5” Orange shoulder
1.5” Sailfin

I would add like this:
Naso
Orange shoulder
Bristletooth
Gold rim
Sailfin, black, and scopas together
Clown tang

Largeangels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME adding healthy conditioned fish like that is best done all at once. They will be a little pre-occupied with their new surroundings, less likely to fight and more likely to accept everyone since none are established. Of course there is always a chance there might be an issue so have an exit plan to try and catch one, just in case.

Raphael Dalmeida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I add a new fish to my tank whether is a tang or not, I always glue a cheap plastic mirror to the tank.

Since then, never had aggression. Without the mirror is full on war. I wish people had told me this when I first started with my reef tank.

I have a few tangs, just recently introduced a lieutenant tang, put the mirror up there for 3 days and he's already part of the tank no issues.

In the end they just get so distracted by their reflection on the mirror that they completely forget of their surroundings, they might do a little pecking afterwards but I've found that this method is solid gold to introduce new fish.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back