Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve got my QT going and almost done with phase I with the copper power treatment. Right now I have a Hippo Tang and Tomini tang that get along great and look super healthy. This is after the QT tank crashed due to a temp spike in my garage and massive bacteria bloom/O2 suffocation.

After this QT period is over, I’d like to start to QT 2 more tangs. I really want a Desjardini Sailfin and one other tang or reef safe butterfly/Eibli Angel. I’ve read that the Eibli can be hit or Miss with corals. I lost a juvi desjardini in the crash, which was heartbreaking but at the top of my list of dream fish. The DT is a 90gal.

After that, probably a Midas Blenny, yellow corris wrasse, and pair of clowns then stop there. I’m aware that this will be a large bioload but have a massively oversized skimmer and 10” fleece roller mat along with weekly 25% water changes.

1. Will this plan work?
2. If so what other tangs would you recommend?
3. If I’m tapped out for tangs I’m also open to suggestions.

I plan on feeding pretty heavily to negate any possible aggression and mixing food between frozen, pellets, nori, flakes, freeze dried brine, mysis, and krill. I really wish I went with a 125gal instead.

Thanks!

Billy

AquaCave Logo Banner

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve got my QT going and almost done with phase I with the copper power treatment. Right now I have a Hippo Tang and Tomini tang that get along great and look super healthy. This is after the QT tank crashed due to a temp spike in my garage and massive bacteria bloom/O2 suffocation.

After this QT period is over, I’d like to start to QT 2 more tangs. I really want a Desjardini Sailfin and one other tang or reef safe butterfly/Eibli Angel. I’ve read that the Eibli can be hit or Miss with corals. I lost a juvi desjardini in the crash, which was heartbreaking but at the top of my list of dream fish. The DT is a 90gal.

After that, probably a Midas Blenny, yellow corris wrasse, and pair of clowns then stop there. I’m aware that this will be a large bioload but have a massively oversized skimmer and 10” fleece roller mat along with weekly 25% water changes.

1. Will this plan work?
2. If so what other tangs would you recommend?
3. If I’m tapped out for tangs I’m also open to suggestions.

I plan on feeding pretty heavily to negate any possible aggression and mixing food between frozen, pellets, nori, flakes, freeze dried brine, mysis, and krill. I really wish I went with a 125gal instead.

Thanks!

Billy
2 tangs in a 4’ reef is pushing it already, I would wait until you have an 8’ tank (Desjardini will outgrow a 6’ tank as they get to the size of a large dinner plate). Temporarily you can mix 3-4 tangs however I’d only do this for a year, if that. This is because of how fast Desjardini and Blue Hippos will get as well as how a 4“ Blue Hippo or Desjardini won’t have the room for proper swimming room in that tank.

The only tang that will actually be able to live long term in that 4’ tank is your Tomini Tang. I really recommend waiting for any more tangs, and besides the larger non-Ctenochaetus tangs are beyond overrated. Most of them don’t actually do work with algae. I’d go for a Foxface instead and then throw a bunch of wrasses. If you want a reef safe Angel then look into the deep water Genicanthus species. This includes e species such as;
Caudovittatus
Melanospilos
Semifasciatus
Semicinctus

nereefpat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eiblii angels have one of the worst reputations with corals, up there with half-black and lemonpeel. Just be aware. Dwarf angels, in my experience, do really well in a standard 90 gallon. Flame and coral beauty are the standards.

For the tangs, i would just stick with the 2 you have at the moment. Sailfins get large. Regals *can too, but they don't always.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I think I’ll go for a female Melanospilos. I’ve got a 33gal QT. Would I have to QT her solo or can I add the Midas Blenny with her? Also how will they both handle copper power?

Thanks!
I would quarantine solo, these guys get active however if it’s possible, can you get them prequarantined? I’ve found Melanospilos to be a harder species to get through QT with copper.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would quarantine solo, these guys get active however if it’s possible, can you get them prequarantined? I’ve found Melanospilos to be a harder species to get through QT with copper.
I can get them already quarantined but I’ll pay 6x the price. What was the issue you had in QT?

Widdlyscudds

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ITT
Car Chase Police GIF

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get them already quarantined but I’ll pay 6x the price. What was the issue you had in QT?
I have yet to QT in my personal reef in 10-12 years without issues.
I did QT in the LFS environment however and they really didn’t like copper I personally recommend just getting a healthy one and putting it into the reef… I find it to be far less stressful and I’m aware people will disagree with me, but this is my personal opinion.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

GHL Advanced Technology
Back