Tang Behavior - digging in sand?

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tangs in my tank - Chocolate Tang and Orange Shoulder - both are juvenile's for reference; I have reason to suspect my Orange Shoulder Tang is burrowing or digging holes in the sand beneath two rock structures. Is this typical behavior for tangs?? My prior tang gang (before I nuked everything with a very failed ammonia dosing attempt) didn't have this behavior and I'm wondering if it is typical of one or both.

Thanks

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about tangs but my maroon clowns completely ignored the nem I gave them and dig/play in the sand all the time now lol.

Maybe ask @vetteguy53081 to make sure it isnt a sickness?

OP
OP
BrokenReefer

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about tangs but my maroon clowns completely ignored the nem I gave them and dig/play in the sand all the time now lol.

Maybe ask @vetteguy53081 to make sure it isnt a sickness?
Definitely isn't sick, they both swim around just fine. It's just odd behavior that I haven't seen before.

Hold on, I shouldn't definitively say "isn't sick"; I should rather restate that both fish do not appear to have anything that present as illness.

D3DPrintedThingz

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tangs in my tank - Chocolate Tang and Orange Shoulder - both are juvenile's for reference; I have reason to suspect my Orange Shoulder Tang is burrowing or digging holes in the sand beneath two rock structures. Is this typical behavior for tangs?? My prior tang gang (before I nuked everything with a very failed ammonia dosing attempt) didn't have this behavior and I'm wondering if it is typical of one or both.

Thanks
I had an OS tang , every night it would dig a huge hole in between two rocks to make it's sleeping spot. Absolutely horrendous behavior , but it was also kind of cute. Lol. Nothing to be alarmed over , I wouldn't think , just keep an eye out for sand and detritus to get stuck in your rock work. Might need to get the turkey baster out and blow some spurts into where the sand lands , it gets much dirtier in that area of the rock work

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an OS tang , every night it would dig a huge hole in between two rocks to make it's sleeping spot. Absolutely horrendous behavior , but it was also kind of cute. Lol. Nothing to be alarmed over , I wouldn't think , just keep an eye out for sand and detritus to get stuck in your rock work. Might need to get the turkey baster out and blow some spurts into where the sand lands , it gets much dirtier in that area of the rock work
Oh good to know, I was thinking about an orange shoulder. I have a lot of fish that throw sand as it is so maybe Ill revisit that idea!

OP
OP
BrokenReefer

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You are correct - it is terrible behavior!!

I may need to rehome the little fella; I can't be having that in my tank with the sand dwelling LPS I am getting. Something to consider, dang

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

Thanks
Moreso, they fan sand to retrieve food which may be the case. If digging, often theyre after something.
My purple dug a pocket for a period of time for no reason

OP
OP
BrokenReefer

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moreso, they fan sand to retrieve food which may be the case. If digging, often theyre after something.
My purple dug a pocket for a period of time for no reason
I don’t know what the could be after, I’ll get some pictures after my kids go to bed.

If they are after something, so be it but I really don’t want that behavior with the trachy, acantho, and soon to be H. Malu.

OP
OP
BrokenReefer

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5642.jpeg
IMG_5644.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5647.jpeg
    IMG_5647.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 21

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen any of the tangs I've kept do that, but fish are individuals.

As long as it's digging and not scratching itself to remove a parasite, I guess I would chalk it up as a fish being eccentric.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back