+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

My tang got a bad cut a few days ago, sliced straight and pretty deep. I moved it to a separate tank to help it heal but it's now going that well.

The wound looks better, but since the cut, the tang is all bent and swimming mostly in circles. It's eating like never before and can move somewhat quickly when startled.

I look blown up on the side, so I think it's a swim bladder problem, but I have no experience here. Can someone please point me in the right direction regarding how to help it?

Image shows where the cut is, it bends towards it:
IMG20221212142000.jpg

Thank you!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi,

My tang got a bad cut a few days ago, sliced straight and pretty deep. I moved it to a separate tank to help it heal but it's now going that well.

The wound looks better, but since the cut, the tang is all bent and swimming mostly in circles. It's eating like never before and can move somewhat quickly when startled.

I look blown up on the side, so I think it's a swim bladder problem, but I have no experience here. Can someone please point me in the right direction regarding how to help it?

Image shows where the cut is, it bends towards it:
View attachment 2931761

View attachment 2931764
Thank you!!
IOhno . . . . Sorry to see this. Fish is moribund, a term used for a specimen which may or not make it due to swimming inability, unable to eat and likely heavy breathing. The cut you mentioned looks like the scalpel from another tang and happened along the lateral line which is part of the nervous/sensory system of the fishs' neuromast.
You can increase oxygen but may not be of help at this point. Was fish eating? (looks a little thin)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Kaj Mählqvist

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh, that sounds bad :(

It's eating, it's eating rather good. I've been throwing it pellets a few times a day so It can pick them from the bottom. But I agree, it seems to have lost some weight.

So oxygen, feeding it as much as it will eat, and hoping for the best then?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh, that sounds bad :(

It's eating, it's eating rather good. I've been throwing it pellets a few times a day so It can pick them from the bottom. But I agree, it seems to have lost some weight.

So oxygen, feeding it as much as it will eat, and hoping for the best then?

The fish has some sort of neurologic issue. That it is eating at all is pretty amazing. There really isn't anything that can be done for it, no way to treat that sort of issue that stemmed from an injury, sorry.

If it was holding weight, it might recover on its own, but I just don't see how it can repair damaged tissue while it is losing weight.

Jay

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Frag Farm
Back