Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently got to thinking why my zoas and polyps are not doing amazing and one of the conclusions I have came to is the water to clean??? I run gfo 24/7 but have never had any phosphates even icp tested at untraceable. Nitrates are about 5-10ppm. Should I remove the gfo for a bit and just stick with water changes?

AquaCave Logo Banner

ReefBoost

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have quite a few Zoos and my tank is pretty stable at NO3 of 12 and PO4 .10. They are all nice and happy and growing! Weekly 10% water changes seem to keep things nice and stable.

JGT

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently got to thinking why my zoas and polyps are not doing amazing and one of the conclusions I have came to is the water to clean??? I run gfo 24/7 but have never had any phosphates even icp tested at untraceable. Nitrates are about 5-10ppm. Should I remove the gfo for a bit and just stick with water changes?
Then why are you using GFO if you have no phosphates?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then why are you using GFO if you have no phosphates?
I think it was more of keeping pristine water because this wasn’t a reef tank and I’m newer to corals which I’ve read need a bit of phosphate. So to answer your question it was just another filtration for me when I was fowlr I recently wanted to dive more into corals so here I am

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals need phosphate, more than zero, target .1 to .2. Stop the gfo.
Feed reef roids and watch your phosphate levels.
I’d pull it then. Corals need some po4 otherwise they starve.
I just pulled it now gonna try to feed a little heavier maybe for a day or two? I usually feed corals Oyster feast, fish get LRS, PE mysis, Angel formula, Spirulina Brine, or Rods just depends on what I am feeling that day lol. I sometimes will do TDO or NLS pellets but Emporer angel is a diva when it comes to pellets.

JGT

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just pulled it now gonna try to feed a little heavier maybe for a day or two? I usually feed corals Oyster feast, fish get LRS, PE mysis, Angel formula, Spirulina Brine, or Rods just depends on what I am feeling that day lol. I sometimes will do TDO or NLS pellets but Emporer angel is a diva when it comes to pellets.
Go slow. Don’t want a spike or to get them too high. And test to ensure you’re within range.

CLICK TO VIEW

ReefBoost

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I do reef roids once a week. Target feed corals with pumps off for 20 min too. Then I do my 10% water change. Seems to keep things stable. Same as everyone says. It’s a marathon not a sprint. Sloooooow changes

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I do reef roids once a week. Target feed corals with pumps off for 20 min too. Then I do my 10% water change. Seems to keep things stable. Same as everyone says. It’s a marathon not a sprint. Sloooooow changes
I used to spot feed when i fed the fish, pumps off for 20 minutes.
Okay so I fed reef roids yesterday and just tested po4 with hanna ulr checker and tested .04 will test again tomorrow but seems to be phosphates are in the tank as of now. Maybe just keep tank stabilized? The icp test I did did not show any phosphates or phosphorus and that was couple weeks ago so this has to be new

ReefBoost

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I fed reef roids yesterday and just tested po4 with hanna ulr checker and tested .04 will test again tomorrow but seems to be phosphates are in the tank as of now. Maybe just keep tank stabilized? The icp test I did did not show any phosphates or phosphorus and that was couple weeks ago so this has to be new
Nice! Just keep slowly finding the right rhythm and keep testing to see what gets you to a good balance. I try not to chase specific numbers as long as all my inhabitants are happy and thriving. Fish, corals, and invert CUC

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Just keep slowly finding the right rhythm and keep testing to see what gets you to a good balance. I try not to chase specific numbers as long as all my inhabitants are happy and thriving. Fish, corals, and invert CUC
My fish have been happy I’m really just trying to dial in these corals

Nutramar Foods
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Join the movement!
Back