Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tailspot blenny which is showing its stress markings. A picture of it below for reference.

IMG-0783.jpg

The backstory to it is that I received a 3 year old 75 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump from someone and the blenny ended up being the only appropriate fish for the tank. The others were sold (one perished in the move) and now it is only him and a couple hermits for now. He has had these stress spots since transferring the tank to my basement a 4 days ago (three whole days). Also, he eats fine (marine cuisine and pellets) and there doesn't seem to be any sign of disease or parasites. I do have a skimmer, plenty of water flow and surface agitation (two wavemakers with one pointed toward surface).

My water parameters are fine but since people would want to know them anyways, they are as follows..

pH: 8.2
Nitrates: 10 (down from 20 upon initial set up)
Salinity: 1.026
Temp: 78
Nitrite and Ammonia: 0

It is FOWLR for now so don't need others.

My question is should I give him something that will help reduce the stress or just keep observing his behavior/physical body and wait for it to go away? If there is something I can give him, what would that be?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Top Shelf Aquatics

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My initial response but wanted a second opinion. Thanks!
I would wait a few more days - I don't see any treatable issue here and the fish may just need to settle in a bit longer.

Jay

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Agreeing with Jay, other than a little thin- nothing jumps out in terms of blemish or disease. I question if your numbers are true from your tests and not false readings. You can if possible take a good size water sample to a trusted LFS that does not use Api kits and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours

OP
OP
MrPiGuy

MrPiGuy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreeing with Jay, other than a little thin- nothing jumps out in terms of blemish or disease. I question if your numbers are true from your tests and not false readings. You can if possible take a good size water sample to a trusted LFS that does not use Api kits and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours
Yeah I did know that. It definitely wouldn’t hurt to at least check and see. As of today it seems he is all settled in and the stress has gone away. And yeah that picture doesn’t do it justice but he is actually a little fatty. Lol

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Bulk Reef Supply
Back