Tailspot Blenny still stressed/scared after 2 weeks?

Nutramar

Antyama

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought my first fish and it's a wonderful tailspot blenny, I have him for around 2 weeks now
I acclimated him for around 45 min, and he instantly went to a small cave in my 20g tank and stayed there for about 3-5 days.
After a week he started going out exploring the tank and now chills out ontop of the rocks.
He showed his white pattern camouflage on and off during this whole time, depending on if I left the room, made a waterchange or made sudden movements.
Afaik, this pattern is displayed when they're in stress or "sleeping" during the night right?

I fed him several times now, during which he loses the pattern, then lays on the rocks again, grazes a bit here and there when he thinks I'm not looking, but he still gets the white patterns when I go near the tank :crying-face: The tank parameters are all onpoint, though iron is a bit higher than normal because I added some for my chaeto.
The tank is 3 months old, he was added on the third month. He seems a-ok and fine when I'm not there, but I think he's just scared of me and because the tank is near my pc, I'm basically in front of the tank 8 hours a day.

Will he get less scared or will this constant stress of me being there affect his health? :anxious-face-with-sweat:

IMG_20220726_130937__01.jpg

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I recently bought my first fish and it's a wonderful tailspot blenny, I have him for around 2 weeks now
I acclimated him for around 45 min, and he instantly went to a small cave in my 20g tank and stayed there for about 3-5 days.
After a week he started going out exploring the tank and now chills out ontop of the rocks.
He showed his white pattern camouflage on and off during this whole time, depending on if I left the room, made a waterchange or made sudden movements.
Afaik, this pattern is displayed when they're in stress or "sleeping" during the night right?

I fed him several times now, during which he loses the pattern, then lays on the rocks again, grazes a bit here and there when he thinks I'm not looking, but he still gets the white patterns when I go near the tank :crying-face: The tank parameters are all onpoint, though iron is a bit higher than normal because I added some for my chaeto.
The tank is 3 months old, he was added on the third month. He seems a-ok and fine when I'm not there, but I think he's just scared of me and because the tank is near my pc, I'm basically in front of the tank 8 hours a day.

Will he get less scared or will this constant stress of me being there affect his health? :anxious-face-with-sweat:

View attachment 2760909
45 mins acclimation not enough
Try a 5 min freshwater dip in a clean container the same temperature as display tank to assure not flukes
A formalin bath or ruby rally pro bath may be of benefit

OP
OP
Antyama

Antyama

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45 mins acclimation not enough
Try a 5 min freshwater dip in a clean container the same temperature as display tank to assure not flukes
A formalin bath or ruby rally pro bath may be of benefit
So he has a parasite? I'm scared that me getting him out of the tank for a freshwater dip will just add to the stress of seeing me.
As I've said before, he swims around normally and grazes when I'm out of sight or don't move, and I haven't seen any flashing so far

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So he has a parasite? I'm scared that me getting him out of the tank for a freshwater dip will just add to the stress of seeing me.
As I've said before, he swims around normally and grazes when I'm out of sight or don't move, and I haven't seen any flashing so far
Try reducing white lights and see if it stays out more

OP
OP
Antyama

Antyama

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try reducing white lights and see if it stays out more
I think I didn't communicate clearly - he is out the whole time and grazes normally, but as soon as he sees me he gets the white pattern and stays still.
How do I make him less scared of me, apart from feeding him when he sees me?

punchy7080

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave him alone, he'll be fine. He will gradually get used to his surroundings and seeing movement outside the tank. I have one in my 40g and my 300g tank and both took a few days to come out regularly. I think it will help him to have other fish eventually as well (non aggressive). Fish learn from other fish that it's safe to be out swimming around :)

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Antyama

Antyama

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave him alone, he'll be fine. He will gradually get used to his surroundings and seeing movement outside the tank. I have one in my 40g and my 300g tank and both took a few days to come out regularly. I think it will help him to have other fish eventually as well (non aggressive). Fish learn from other fish that it's safe to be out swimming around :)
I kind of suspect that it's because he doesn't have a tight hole to hide somewhere, I've actually bought a dead barnacle skeleton that I'm currently curing in a bucket, so gonna see if he likes that.
But yea I hope he will be fine seeing me with time

punchy7080

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of suspect that it's because he doesn't have a tight hole to hide somewhere, I've actually bought a dead barnacle skeleton that I'm currently curing in a bucket, so gonna see if he likes that.
But yea I hope he will be fine seeing me with time
Yup, they will definitely appreciate a place to hide

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I think I didn't communicate clearly - he is out the whole time and grazes normally, but as soon as he sees me he gets the white pattern and stays still.
How do I make him less scared of me, apart from feeding him when he sees me?
Lower lights and stand back some until it gets used to your presence

Top Shelf Aquatics

Kiboshed

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds happy and healthy as can be.

As a species we are hyper violent, intelligent, mega apes that keep other animals in boxes. I would be scared of me too lol

If you want to be best buds with it, feed it more. It will soon associate your presence with food and gladly come out when your around

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, he'll probably prefer frozen mysis to start. Just leave one side of your glass dirty for him to eat his greens. You'll see little kiss shapes on that side

OP
OP
Antyama

Antyama

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The barnacles will be a great addition for him! What other tank mates does he have?
A group of sexy shrimp, a porcelain crab, hermit crab and a juvenile saron marmoratus :) I wouldn't put another fish in as I feel it might get too crowded, or can it be that he might get lonely? I maybe thought about a skunk cleaner shrimp

OP
OP
Antyama

Antyama

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, he'll probably prefer frozen mysis to start. Just leave one side of your glass dirty for him to eat his greens. You'll see little kiss shapes on that side
I actually asked the lfs I got him from what they fed him before because he was kind of reluctant to all the food I prepared :grinning-face-with-sweat: But yeah, he poops alot lol, didn't expect that from such a small fishie

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Antyama

Antyama

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank?
20g long with lots of dry rock and some liverock to seed it with. I'm a bit disappointed in the porosity of the dry rock I bought, it's Arka myreef rocks. Giant difference in terms of small holes, nooks and crannies compared to the liverock

adittam

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20g long with lots of dry rock and some liverock to seed it with. I'm a bit disappointed in the porosity of the dry rock I bought, it's Arka myreef rocks. Giant difference in terms of small holes, nooks and crannies compared to the liverock
You definitely have room for a couple more small fish.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Antyama

Antyama

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely have room for a couple more small fish.
oh really? I mean the saron shrimp apparently grows up to 8cm or smth, original plan was having an invert only tank actually haha
what fish would be a good tankmate for the blenny then? smth like a green clown goby or candy cane goby?

TheoScapes

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so weird. I'm literally 2 weeks into cycling my 30g, first ever reef tank and was going to only get inverts too, until I saw the tail spot blenny and was just waiting for my cycle to finish! It sounds like we had the exact same idea!
oh really? I mean the saron shrimp apparently grows up to 8cm or smth, original plan was having an invert only tank actually haha
what fish would be a good tankmate for the blenny then? smth like a green clown goby or candy cane goby?

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Chemi-pure.com - All-In-One Aquarium Filtration
Back