Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a tailspot blenny and a canary blenny do ok in a 45G?

Already have the tailspot, 2 clowns, springer damsel, and a sharknose goby.
All inhabitants have been in the tank easily over 6 months. The clowns for over 18 months.
Plenty of liverock and places to hide. No aggressions.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a tailspot blenny and a canary blenny do ok in a 45G?

Already have the tailspot, 2 clowns, springer damsel, and a sharknose goby.
All inhabitants have been in the tank easily over 6 months. The clowns for over 18 months.
Plenty of liverock and places to hide. No aggressions.
There is a general rule for reef tanks that fish of the same type, shape or that occupy the same area of the tank have the possibility of creating aggresion. As such, adding another tailspot could be inviting conflict into your tank.

OP
OP
deadboi77

deadboi77

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a general rule for reef tanks that fish of the same type, shape or that occupy the same area of the tank have the possibility of creating aggresion. As such, adding another tailspot could be inviting conflict into your tank.
I saw a comment from a couple years ago on here, that a member had a canary and tailspot in a 29g. And that's the only thing I could find searching.
I had one in my 29g for about 18 months before it jumped. (They sleep vertically against the glass along a tank seem. Didn't realize it got spooked in the middle of the night by a light turning on in an adjoining hallway. Anyhow...)

Great fish. Inquisitive, active throughout the water column. Not shy. Not aggressive to other fish. At any pellets or meaty foods I put in the tank. Completely ignored my tailspot blenny.

Like it so much I decided I'll never have a tank without a fang blenny in it. (Replaced it with a black line ... just for a change of pace. And just added 3 Smith's to my 65g.)

Your redlipped blenny should be fine with it. Different behaviors, different body shapes, and not direct competitors for food (ominvore versus carnivore). They'll likely just ignore each other.

The only thing that 'might' be at risk would be anemone shrimp if you have any.
I also went to one of my LFS earlier today and they had both in a tank. Last time I was there, both fish weren't.(2 weeks ago) So they been together around a week and half.(Get shipments in on Tuesday and/or Thursday) This is one of the more decent shops here in MI.

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
UNLEASH THE FULL POTENTIAL OF YOUR REEF
Back