Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to make a top for my tank. I kind of have special circumstances that makes it so I want to do something a bit differently than most people. It'll make sense after it's made, but it's kinda hard to explain until you guys see it

Most of the lid will sit on corner tabs built in to the lid, but part of it, I want the lid to be supported from something inside the tank. I saw on BRS that they suggested magnets or siliconing pieces of acrylic. I'd prefer to go the siliconed acrylic tabs route, but I don't know where to get acrylic thick enough to work. I'd probably want something like 3/8 or half inch thick. I'd imagine it'd cost a fortune to buy a sheet of it, just to cut some tiny pieces off. Anyone have any ideas of what I could use?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to make a top for my tank. I kind of have special circumstances that makes it so I want to do something a bit differently than most people. It'll make sense after it's made, but it's kinda hard to explain until you guys see it

Most of the lid will sit on corner tabs built in to the lid, but part of it, I want the lid to be supported from something inside the tank. I saw on BRS that they suggested magnets or siliconing pieces of acrylic. I'd prefer to go the siliconed acrylic tabs route, but I don't know where to get acrylic thick enough to work. I'd probably want something like 3/8 or half inch thick. I'd imagine it'd cost a fortune to buy a sheet of it, just to cut some tiny pieces off. Anyone have any ideas of what I could use?
Look for hobby lengths. Square stock or angle stock can be purchased by the foot. If you’re wanting something larger, some will cut off whatever you need, for a price.

Nutramar Foods

Jmp998

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used glass beads for this purpose-various sizes available, cheap, no cutting. Search for "flat glass marbles" or similar on Amazon. Also sold at craft stores to use in vases etc.

OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A local acrylic sign slash promotion shop might just give you some scrap. Otherwise McMaster Car probably has everything you could think of. US Plastics is another option
I ordered some on Amazon 5/8" square by 20" for $9

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Innovative Marine - Made to Order
Back