T5s or Reef Brite XHO-K30 LED addon kits?

Retrofit T5s or ReefBrite XHO-K30 addon kits?

• Total voters

MooreTankMoreProblems

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings everyone,

I’m in the final stages of setting up my dream tank and can not make up my mind what I want to go with my 4 Radion XR30pro G4s... (For background info the tank is a 96.5” x 32” x 26” and will be a mixed reef, tank is also set within a wall inside a fish/filtration room. So space for hanging/mounting above the tank is no issue.)

I have been in the fence for awhile between these two, and would love to know what route others would go with if they had to make the choice.
1.) Reef Brite 48” Supra slim Line Dual T5 Retrofit fixtures (4 total)
OR
2.) Reef brite XHO-K30 LED addon kits (4 total)

Both have GREAT reviews, but also some cons. If I go with T5s I will get higher par output, better spread because they would cover the entire length of the tank... but at a cost of wattage used with it being 8 separate bulbs, and I would have the additional cost of bulb replacement each year or so. The K30s however would add that known “POP” of color in the tank that XHO do, will raise the par some, don’t add much heat to the tank like T5s would and with the being LEDs, very low wattage being used.. What Would you all choice if you had to pick? (Also open to hearing other suggestions!)

Thank you for your time!

C36ACE1E-9D08-4998-937C-B32C15150DE1.jpeg

135reef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you end up going with? Having a similar debate about KR retrofits or keep my dimmable T5s with three (3) Radion G4s over our 160 in-wall. The K30s look super clean and give the "pop", but I worry about banding with the K30s if I run the Radon's front-to-back.

OP
OP
MooreTankMoreProblems

MooreTankMoreProblems

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still deciding...

I am really leaning towards doing both lol maybe the retro fits with just 4 single 48” retro fit bulbs. All depends what the tank looks like first with the g4 pros then going from there!

What did you end up going with? Having a similar debate about KR retrofits or keep my dimmable T5s with three (3) Radion G4s over our 160 in-wall. The K30s look super clean and give the "pop", but I worry about banding with the K30s if I run the Radon's front-to-back.

135reef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks... I love the clean install of the K30s, but reluctant to have everything LED. Current thinking is that if I keep my 4xT5s, I have some flexibility for Actinic and/or Blue Plus to fill some shadows. But with 3x G4 Pro's over 48", we should have pretty good fill.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AVAST
Back