+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I had a 4 bulb VIVOSUN t5 fixture set up without issue for a few weeks but decided I needed an eight bulb. I got the 8 bulb set up but it instantly trips the GFI. I am assuming bad ballast?

Is it necessary to have light fixture plugged into GFI?

AquaCave Logo Banner
Nutramar Foods
Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finding lots of information online about ballasts tripping gfi outlets, I also have a pentair UV that I run on a non gfi for the same issue.

I’m debating just running it without gfi, gfi only protects if something goes into the water no? This isn’t possible with my set up for the lights.

Last edited:

shermoen

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gfci will trip if it detects and imbalance in voltage and or a ground fault. Sometimes gfci devices do get very touchy through time and will trip easier than normal and that is the reason we do not install them on fridges or freezers. Is the device tripping as soon as you turn it on? Or does it run for a bit and then trip? Also is it a new brand new fixture?

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gfci will trip if it detects and imbalance in voltage and or a ground fault. Sometimes gfci devices do get very touchy through time and will trip easier than normal and that is the reason we do not install them on fridges or freezers. Is the device tripping as soon as you turn it on? Or does it run for a bit and then trip? Also is it a new brand new fixture?

some GFI trip instantly and others let it run for 10-20 mins.

Brand new fixture. It’s a cheap 200$ horticulture 8 bulb t5. I’m doing research and many of these horticultural t5 fixtures say they cannot be used with gfi right in the instructions. I’m wondering if the cheap ballasts are the issue.

I ordered a replacement to see if that fixes it.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Champion
Back