Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently set up a propagation tank and I am intending on growing zoanthids and some other corals mostly for trade.

For the tank I got two 2 bulb 39watt t5ho retrofit fixtures, which have individual reflectors for each bulb, but I do not know the exact brand of the fixture. They seem pretty nice though...

Anyhow, when purchasing I was limited to choosing between 10k and actinic bulbs. I selected 3x10k and 1x actinic, presuming this would provide the best PAR and best growth.

Well, I have since realized that with this setup the corals will not look the best. Also, I have heard on here that 10k bulbs can have a dulling effect on zoanthid colors in general.

So I have realized that I probably need to get some different bulbs. If I am going to want to trade with people I need my corals to look decent, after all...

So what combination of 4 bulbs should I look into getting? I would like to use some of what I have if that is possible. I was thinking get two aquablue+ and use them along with a 10k and actinic that I allready have. Good?

Thanks!

AS

d.grcich

Fat bottom girls
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jafoca, I have been told it is the 6500K bulbs that gets you in trouble with the T5 but I am not saying they will not bleach under 10000K. I just ordered a T5 that comes with 12,500 K- Deep Sea Blue bulbs. Since I will not be getting it in the mail for a few more days I can not tell you who makes the bulb yet. That is the most blue bulbs I have found for T5's.

pookstreet

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on personal experience, the blue+ is not very bright. If you run 2 blue+ with a 10k and an actinic, it's gonna look pretty dim. I would consider going with 2 Aquablues and 2 blue+. The Aquablues are a crisp white and the blue+ will bring out the colors more. Or you can try 2 Aquablues and 2 actinics.

twon8

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the blueplus have about 3/4 of the par of the 11k, but bring out much better colors in zoas imo.

i run a 55 with two bulbs, a blueplus and ge 6500k overdriven on an icecap and i really like the result

Nutramar Foods

twon8

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So maybe two aquablue, one actinic, and one 10k?

an aquablue is basically an 11k, you want the ati blueplus or the geissman actinic plus or the helios blueplus, which i hear rocks and is less expensive.

this page has the bulbs
http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Bulbs/

i personally wouldn't waste money running a t5 actinic for a frag tank, i'd get a 3000k or 6500k, and two blueplus bulbs and flip them out to see what looks best to your eyes

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Twon, what would you ge to suppliment your display tank lighting? I might switch over here in the next couple months and T-5 are all new to me....I use URI Super actinic now....PM your answer so we don't hi-jack this thread....

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Kinetics
Back