system running, plumbing repair, how do you?

BRS

reef tank 2.0

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am creating a scenario that I am sure many reefers have had to deal with. I am curious as to how this happens.

Let's say your system is up and running. Return pumps and drains are all flowing as they should. One day, you find your bulkhead has sprung a leak, or maybe the plumbing that comes out of the bulkheads that goes to your valves. Whether it's the return or the drain, but let's address both. Let's say you don't have a union at the bulkhead, but rather further downstream, and you have to cut the connecting pipe that goes into the bulkhead.

I assume at this point, you'd have the whole system turned off. The pipe cut, and all the water in the overflow has been drained.
You make repairs, glue it all back up, and get it into place, and return the system back to normal. In a perfect world.
This is where my stress / questions come into play.

your system is off to begin the repair. Now you're up against the clock to get this done ASAP (stress level is at 2 out of 10). you cut the pipe and water flows out of the bulkhead until cleared. Who knows how much water I'll lose out of the main display in order to work with a dry pipe, (stress level is at 5 out of 10). You remove the section needed. you begin to remake the needed pvc run to get this back together. Hoping you have all the pieces necessary to fix whatever (unions, valves, fittings, etc). You are now using up more time to piece it all together to avoid the issue next time. Measuring, cutting, gluing, fitting it together with the right angles that are needed to make it an easy glue up with no tension. This could take quite a while, depending. Time has gone by and you still have no clue if things will or will not leak once you get it back together. Right before you are ready to turn the system back on and you are making sure all is right (stress level is at 7 out of 10), more nervous than anything. You turn the system on, watch it for a few minutes to make sure there are no leaks anywhere. What's that???? a leak!?!? (stress level 10 out of 10). Now you're having to repeat the process all over again. You are already spent who knows how long to get to this point with your system down. Now you have to shut down, and try again.

Now, after going through all that, how the hell do you do things like this with minimal stress? If things leaked the first time, and again the second time, you now have to make it right on the third time so this doesn't happen again. How on earth do you make leak repairs on an existing system?

Do many of you have glued up assemblies waiting in the wings in case of something like this? For the most part, measuring and creating sections twice, when initially setting up your system so you have them waiting to avoid the "rush" to replace.

I have had one reef tank, and never had any of these types of issues. I'd be lying if I said it certainly doesn't concern me. Things fail, and will most likely come at a time when it's not ideal. Certainly be nice to know how to handle it.

It's not like when it's a fresh start up, you have test runs you can perform, and re-routing of pvc that can be done if needed, BEFORE livestock, rock, etc are in place. (this is the stage i'm in now). I am still plumbing the system, and I am constantly thinking of "What if". I am using unions where I can, but it still doesn't avoid the possible cut and replace that might need to be done.

How do you handle things like this?

World Wide Corals

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many times a bulkhead leak can be fixed by tightening it Slightly.
There are wrenches made for this also, saw a new one the other day by 3D printer, do a search if you want .
I don't have anything made for piping repairs & don't know anyone that does.
PVC glue can be used sometimes on the outside of pipe.
Look on You Tube for ideas if it bothers you that much.

Corals.com

ocnbrze

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its why you use the schedule 80 instead of the cheap pvc for things like ball valves and unions. cutting and gluing pvc is simple and should not take too much time. i think you are over thinking things. use ball valves and unions as much as you can.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is just where proper preparation comes into play. If you prep your pipe and fittings correctly then you should not have a leaks after assembly. This hypothetical situation should be able to be resolved in a few minutes on most setups once started. For someone whom is not familiar or not comfortable working with PVC this is where you call in a friend to help.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
R

reef tank 2.0

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one question I forgot to ask........if you make a repair, how long does that glue have to cure before its livestock safe?

and i like the one hobby that none of my friends are interested in. friend call in, is out of the question :)

Last edited:

jdiefenbaugh

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others said, sch. 80 pvc, proper fittings and some preplanning. I use sch 80 bulkheads threaded on the wet side so I can temporarily plug them if needed and valves/unions nearby. Sch 80 bulkheads are virtually leak proof with their extra thick gaskets and bigger threads. 4 hrs is usually plenty of time for glue to dry is under pressure, less if just a drain.

I've had too many sch 40 pipe become brittle and break over time to ever use it again on an aquarium.

Nutramar Foods

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one question I forgot to ask........if you make a repair, how long does that glue have to cure before its livestock safe?
That would have a lot to due with what primer and glue is used and the volume of the tank.

Most products will be set up and ready for water in less than 15 min at the very low pressures that we actually run our systems at. There are different viscosity glues for different size pipe and set times.

Livestock safe would depend on how many joints are needed, the size of the joints, and how much water volume. This is also extremely speculative.

Obviously adding a chemical element into the tank is never desired. The more primer and glue used the more you potentially add to the tank. This can be done and is obviously not common, just not ideal.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only ever seen grey / black bulkheads. how do you know if they're schedule 40 / 80?
Black are generally ABS plastic. Gray are generally schedule 80 but this is not a rule.

Nutramar Foods

jdiefenbaugh

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only ever seen grey / black bulkheads. how do you know if they're schedule 40 / 80?

Usually grey with bigger threads/gaskets and cost 3-4x. Most people dont use sch. 80 due to the cost, but since my public aquarium days it's all I'll use.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, bulkheads do not seem to be an issue when properly installed. I wouldn't worry about them. Just make sure your plumbing is supported and not putting any deflective force on them.

jdiefenbaugh

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, bulkheads do not seem to be an issue when properly installed. I wouldn't worry about them. Just make sure your plumbing is supported and not putting any deflective force on them.

Usually, yes. Seems when they're on the bottom pane and tank height gets over 24", ABS bulkheads seem to be more problematic. But yes, I see so much poorly supported plumbing, cracked aquariums just a bump away.

Nutramar Foods

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually, yes. Seems when they're on the bottom pane and tank height gets over 24", ABS bulkheads seem to be more problematic. But yes, I see so much poorly supported plumbing, cracked aquariums just a bump away.
I wasn't even thinking about closed loops or other installs. Great point.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@reef tank 2.0 A couple of thoughts/suggestions:

You state "Who knows how much water I'll lose out of the main display in order to work with a dry pipe, (stress level is at 5 out of 10)". This is easily verifiable by turning off your return pump and watching the water flow into your sump. Your system should be set up to begin with in order to handle the extra drainage. Test it.

I suggest you purchase a Seachem Tidal Filter to have in the event of an emergency or to have peace of mind. Fellow reefers run with one all the time on systems without sumps. The intake on mine sits much lower in my tank than the overflow holes that go to my sump. You could always use it in the event your return pump would fail. They are available for different size tanks and you can use any media.

38bill

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just had a couple of issues with my remote sump return plumbing that I had to fix. No big deal as I always keep glue, PVC straight connectors, 90 deg elbows, a valve or two and some PVC pipe for emergency repairs. I also use a PVC pipe cutter. The cutter makes it easy to cut the existing pipe so you capture most of the water that drains out. I like to make up the replacement plumbing part before I start taking apart the tank plumbing.

Nutramar Foods

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just had a couple of issues with my remote sump return plumbing that I had to fix. No big deal as I always keep glue, PVC straight connectors, 90 deg elbows, a valve or two and some PVC pipe for emergency repairs. I also use a PVC pipe cutter. The cutter makes it easy to cut the existing pipe so you capture most of the water that drains out. I like to make up the replacement plumbing part before I start taking apart the tank plumbing.
This approach is very smart. Make up the replacement prior to cutting.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Chasers Aquaculture
Back