Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 40 gallon display with a 20 gallon sump. I’ve been in a slump with animals since October after a baby reptile randomly passed. So I’m looking for easier ways to care for my tanks, thus this idea

I was wondering if it would be bad to switch to hob so I can use the space below the main display. I know I’d loose around 15 gallons from my sump but I haven’t had the urge to put new corals or fish in the tank.

Ive got 3 bubble tip anemones due to splitting, a toadstool, 2 frogspawnd, 1 hammer, watchman and diamond goby, 2 clowns, small filefish, and a cleaner shrimp.

Ive been doing water changes every 2 weeks, 3 if I’m bad. I know I’d probably have to do more water changes like in the beginning but I’m just hoping for less from my tanks and animals right now.

Just trying to do what’s best and easier. Ive also considered going down to a 20 gallon but I figured that would be more work.

Any advice is appreciated!

Corals.com

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All a sump does is hide equipment. If you get rid of your sump and don't mind hanging everything from your tank, thats fine, it works. I don't know if one way is easier than the other though

I was always a hob guy, only last month I upgraded and added a sump, but before that, I ran all tanks with hob equipment. I had a 32 gallon with a clip on light, hob skimmer, hob gfo reactor, ATO hose, and also can see the heater in the tank, and all the wires, it was a real eyesore and drove me nuts.

I also run a 15 gallon RFA and softie tank, which has a hob filter only, to run carbon because of all the soft corals. Only weekly water changes.

I run a 20 gallon fish only tank with no filtration at all, only weekly water changes.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank should be fine with a HOB but I am not sure that it will make caring for the tank easier. I found doing a water change easier with a sump not lifting a bucket so high and not messing up the sand when pouring water into the tank.
Maybe a break from the tank altogether for a little while is what you really need? There is no shame in that and you can pick back up when you feel ready.

Top Shelf Aquatics

biom

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 26 gallon with no sump or HOB equipment only tunze 9004 skimmer which is in the aquarium. This skimmers has small footprint and I think if I had internal overflow the footprint would be bigger. The only thing is the heater but I have this black plastic AquaEl that is very slim and visually not a problem.

LPS Bum

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, you can do that. I run my 240 gal FOWLR with a HOB skimmer and a canister filter. It can be done.

The sump hides your equipment but it also gives you more water volume. That helps with stability. So you’d be giving that up.

If you’re not over feeding and you’re willing to change water every 2 weeks, I don’t see the problem with making the move.

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Buckeye
Back