Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow Reefers! I remember reading a thread on R2R a while ago saying Aquaforest Probiotic Reef Salt is the same as Reef Salt, except the probiotic version has extra vitamins, cultured probiotic bacteria and Aminos. The Probiotic version is mainly used in heavy SPS systems where nutrients want to be kept ultra low. In conjunction with most users dosing Pro Bio S and -NP Pro which is more bacteria and food for it.

My question coming into this thread is, is it necessary to do the whole switching salt technique with 10% incremental water changes to adjust to the new salt if you were to switch from AF Reef Salt to AF Probiotic Reef Salt. They're after all the same brand "Aquaforest" and if the only difference between them is Bacteria, Vitamins and Amino's, wouldn't the difference in salt chemistry be negligible?

I don't intend to do like a 100% water change but I feel like it's a bit of useful information if everyone using AF knew they don't need to gradually adjust considering it's the same brand, same salt, just with bacteria aminos and vitamins added. Although I don't definitively know if you don't need to gradually switch between these salts, and want to know if it can be done with little to no effect on your Reef.

When I think about it, if you did it over time, the rate at which the cultured bacteria processes waste out of the aquarium would be more stable and less sudden over time, but then I think you could bring your nutrient levels down preemptively anyway taking away another variable for the aquarium to adjust to.

Interested in thoughts ty all
Thread Ref: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/aquaforest-reef-salt-vs-probiotic-reef-salt.261918/

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help with the specific question but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some attention

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Kessil
Back