Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently acquired an Apex head with more features than the Apex EL I am currently running. How do I switch these out? Is it as simple as just plugging the probes and everything into the new Apex head and connecting to the current EB832? Any insight would be greatly appreciated, I'm new to Apex life! TIA

Nutramar Foods

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Programming too
This. I just went from a classic to an A2 head, outlet programming is the biggest hurdle. Also will need to calibrate probes to the head unit.

Print out the output config for all the outlets before you start the swap. It took me about a hour to type in all the outlet programming and do the swap. Do your return pump and heater stuff first.

OP
OP
brholt.23

brholt.23

Community Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. I just went from a classic to an A2 head, outlet programming is the biggest hurdle. Also will need to calibrate probes to the head unit.

Print out the output config for all the outlets before you start the swap. It took me about a hour to type in all the outlet programming and do the swap. Do your return pump and heater stuff first.
Thanks! So basically I'm starting over?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! So basically I'm starting over?

Yes. You have to reprogram the new head completely. I am sure there is a reason for this, at least in Neptune's mind, but they need to make this much easier and quicker to do.

Top Shelf Aquatics

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And with the above maybe check out neptunes site for upgrade instructions. Or at least heed the only plug in one aqua bus thing at a time. There’sa myth out there that if you plug in several aqua bus things at once the earth slows down and starts to spin in reverse

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And with the above maybe check out neptunes site for upgrade instructions. Or at least heed the only plug in one aqua bus thing at a time. There’sa myth out there that if you plug in several aqua bus things at once the earth slows down and starts to spin in reverse
I actually ended up running less devices with an A2, lol. Had a PM1, PM2, ATK & WXM, plus an EB8/EB4.

Down to just an ATK and EB8/EB4.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually ended up running less devices with an A2, lol. Had a PM1, PM2, ATK & WXM, plus an EB8/EB4.

Down to just an ATK and EB8/EB4.
I liked ditching the extra salinity module…..I never really got that whole thing. I mean there’s a temp and salinity on the head, but no… you have to purchase an additional module or it won’t quote calibrate. Of coarse, I was too dense to go ahead and try it without. It magtasically works on the a2/3 directly. The upgrade path suuuuuuuucksss major balls though. Took me three days, seventeen hours total, I just did it a few weeks ago. All so I could have a trident.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked ditching the extra salinity module…..I never really got that whole thing. I mean there’s a temp and salinity on the head, but no… you have to purchase an additional module or it won’t quote calibrate. Of coarse, I was too dense to go ahead and try it without. It magtasically works on the a2/3 directly. The upgrade path suuuuuuuucksss major balls though. Took me three days, seventeen hours total, I just did it a few weeks ago. All so I could have a trident.
I ran dual temp probes with the PM2, a utter pain. The classic didn't have the salinity, only temp & Ph/ORP. Had to buy the PM2 to use it and another temp probe (or move the probe to the PM2) What's crazy is the price now, the probe alone is almost 200 bucks and doesn't work right! At least for both the PM2 and probe, I think I paid 169 for them.

I've been screaming to the mountains about the A3 being a bogus BS upgrade from the A2, me thinks Neptune fears the hydros a bit. If I wouldn't of got the A2 head NIB for 200$, I'd still have the classic going.

Neptune

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AquaCave Logo Banner
Back