+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Evening all,

I am new to the hobby but over a month ago i brought the below linked TMC reef tank.

I am having surface film problems even with my pump creating quite a bit of surface agitation.

Due to the construction you can see in the above link, the rear sump has an input at the top and the bottom, because of this the film is not getting dragged into the sump and the filtration stack is not catching it correctly.

The filtration stack also has a good 1-2cm gap underneath so dirty water can go straight into the pump.

I have thought of putting filter floss under the stack to block the water flow.

Does any have any experience with this tank or any ideas on how i could improve it.

Cheers!

Nutramar Foods

TheBear78

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may well be some kind of chemical and/or debris left over from the tank manufacture.
Have you ever managed to remove it, possibly by dragging some filter floss around the surface? Did it come back?
You could try stirring it up but I'd be reluctant to risk reintroducing to the water if it's decided to separate.

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Good Evening all,

I am new to the hobby but over a month ago i brought the below linked TMC reef tank.

I am having surface film problems even with my pump creating quite a bit of surface agitation.

Due to the construction you can see in the above link, the rear sump has an input at the top and the bottom, because of this the film is not getting dragged into the sump and the filtration stack is not catching it correctly.

The filtration stack also has a good 1-2cm gap underneath so dirty water can go straight into the pump.

I have thought of putting filter floss under the stack to block the water flow.

Does any have any experience with this tank or any ideas on how i could improve it.

Cheers!
Generally a sign that there is insufficient flow to the tank overflow. You will need to provide surface agitation via power head and even add airstone or add stronger return pump inside the inside sump to move water at a faster turnover rate

OP
OP
T

Tyberzann

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 60 litres and the pump is rated at 500 litres per hour so i think the flow from the pump is ok.

I don't have a powerhead currently but could look into getting one.

The tank has been running for around 5-6 weeks and once my parameters were correct I added a couple clowns last week, both of which seem to be doing well.

Is there a upper limit that i should think about before getting a massive return pump.

KK's Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it boils down to flow and surface agitation. I have a similar tank and I blocked off the bottom intake. Didn't help. The pump just doesn't move enough water, which also limits the surface agitation. The grates on the weir also isn't wide enough to break up the slick on the surface. The slick just sort of gets stuck at the weir entrance. You can try dragging floss or a paper towel on the surface to absorb the surface film as previously suggested, but I usually manually skim it with a cup when I do water changes.

I have a small pico. I'm wondering if folks with larger tanks have the same issue.

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Subscribe to ReefStache so you don't miss out!
Back