Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The summer is finally over and I feel more confident stocking my 50G.
It's 29 x 24 x 20 (high) bare bottom.
I'd love if someone experienced could comment on my stocking list.

Underlined fish are the ones, I'm really determined to keep, but I obviously accept comments.
The other fish are the ones I'm kinda undecided about.

Determined to keep:
  1. Mandarin Dragonet
  2. Swissguard Basslet
  3. Red Firefish
  4. Ocellaris (male)
  5. Ocellaris (female)
  6. McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (doesn't decimate pod population)

Like them but can live without:
  1. Midas Blenny
  2. Orange Stripe Prawn Goby OR Yasha Goby (really like them but not sure how they'd fare in bare bottom)
  3. Clown Goby, Green
  4. Scissortail Dartfish
  5. Zebra Dartfish

Undecided if they're worth the extra effort
  1. Talbot's Damsel OR Starcki Damsel (can't really understand how aggressive they'd be towards other fish)
  2. Vanderbuilt Chromis (they seem a bit boring personality-wise, but I have not had chromis).
  3. Royal Gramma (I guess I'd keep one or even multiple if possible - if they are compatible with everything else).
  4. Long nose hawkfish (I've tried googling, but I don't understand how likely it is to eat a small fish like the clown goby)

Hope there's no controversial choices (other than the mandarin possibly! I'd have gone for a bigger tank, but I live in small apartment).

Thanks for the advice!

CLICK TO VIEW

Zionas

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
x1 Mandarin Dragonet (make sure you can provide it with enough pods, I’d give it a year before adding one. Try to get a CB one from ORA that will take prepared foods.)

x2 Ocellaris Clownfish (great. Personally not a fan of designer varieties but it’s your call.)

x1 Red Firefish (great. Make sure your tank is covered as they’re notorious jumpers.)

x1 Swissguard Basslet (Beautiful! Great add.)

x1 McCosker’s Flasher Wrasse (great. Again make sure tank is covered.)

I would do 1 more fish, maybe 2 if pushing it. If I were you I’d get one more bottom dweller and 1 more fish that swims in the water column.

Personally, I would add a shrimp and goby pair of some kind, and for an 8th and final fish, maybe the Royal Gramma (it’s another basslet so not sure how it’d get along with your Swissguard), a Possum / Pink Streak Wrasse, or a Cardinal such as a CB Bangaii.

If you’re intent on going for a damselfish (which the two you’ve mentioned are among the most peaceful ones), I’d ditch the Firefish.

Plan A:
x2 Ocellaris Clowns
x1 McCosker’s Flasher Wrasse
x1 Firefish (Red)
x1 Swissguard Basslet
x1 Mandarin Dragonet
x1 Royal Gramma (check with others) / Bangaii Cardinal / Possum Wrasse / Pink Streak Wrasse
x1 shrimp and goby pair

Plan B:
x2 Ocellaris clowns
x1 McCosker’s Flasher Wrasse
x1 Starcki’s / Talbot’s Damselfish
x1 Swissguard Basslet
x1 Mandarin Dragonet
x1 shrimp and goby pair
x1 Bangaii Cardinal

Last edited:

NJDragonet

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All sounds good, Mandiran you should get CB so you could get one when the tank is set up they are very hardy. 100% get a royal gramma very hardy small and does not mess with the other fish you are gonna keep. Clown Goby sounds great to I would say that and the midas would be your best bet starcki damsel is the best damsel to add but add it last it will become very mean to the other fish add them last in the tank. Not a big fan of the McCoskers but they should be fine just have a lid I say 6 line, 4 line, Mystery, Cleaner, Roseband would be a little better but thats your call everything else except the Dartfish, Chormis, and hawkfish there are so much options I suggest you get a dwarf angel look them up on https://www.liveaquaria.com/category/16/angelfish-dwarf?c=15+16&r=

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Muffin87

Muffin87

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a big fan of the McCoskers but they should be fine just have a lid I say 6 line, 4 line, Mystery, Cleaner, Roseband would be a little better but thats your call everything else except the Dartfish, Chormis, and hawkfish there are so much options I suggest you get a dwarf angel look them up

I thought the wrasses u mentioned decimated the pod population? which would mean itd be much harder to keep the mandarin.

Id love a dwarf angel but i hear they often aren't reef safe?
What do u do when u buy a fish that turns out to eat corals?

a Possum / Pink Streak Wrasse

Wouldn't these wipe out all my copepods?

Thanks a lof guys!
I wanna limit myself to wrasses that only eat the microfauna occasionally.

Nutramar Foods
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
SaltwaterAquarium.com
Back