Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I regularly note a large amount of pods and the occasional small bristleworm in my filter floss. Is this a pod breeding ground I should keep going or is there a better solution? The sump is my first diy and honestly not great. At the moment the water falls straight down to filter floss then into a mostly empty main chamber, before 2 baffles and the return pump.

20221207_105324.jpg 20221207_105301.jpg 20221207_105243.jpg

BRS

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your title begs a question, yet your post did not expand.

I looked for a tank thread. Is this sump for your 120G display that is 3 years set up?

Consider removing filter floss and allow cascading water to fall over a wet/submerged section of rubble. Degassing of water is very important in moving oxygen, nitrogen and carbon dioxide fron a gas to saturated in water. In the open area of sump, get some real live rock to inoculate cryptic sponges in a dark sump.

Also, by removing the filter floss, detritus will begin to settle in open area of your sump. This is energy rich carbon that fuels the microbial loop. Consider what PaulB says about MULM.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bixby'sMenagerie

Bixby'sMenagerie

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your title begs a question, yet your post did not expand.

I looked for a tank thread. Is this sump for your 120G display that is 3 years set up?

Consider removing filter floss and allow cascading water to fall over a wet/submerged section of rubble. Degassing of water is very important in moving oxygen, nitrogen and carbon dioxide fron a gas to saturated in water. In the open area of sump, get some real live rock to inoculate cryptic sponges in a dark sump.

Also, by removing the filter floss, detritus will begin to settle in open area of your sump. This is energy rich carbon that fuels the microbial loop. Consider what PaulB says about MULM.

This is that tank, (2 years not 3 may have mistyped elsewhere.) I recently (2 months ago) removed all the rock from the sump as part of my aquascaping project amd while i was at it added some sand and crushed coral to the sump.. I am debating adding more rock to the main section or building a cheato box. So if I take the filter floss out entirely, what do I do for mechanical filtration? Just the protien skimmer? I'm not exactly a water clarity nut. Ive found geowing mulm in my display is difficult as until recently it was very lightly stocked (and poorly lit) and just didn't produce much detritus. I did have a nice layer at the bottom of the sump which was usually crawling with pods so i put the sand down to give extra surface area.

Avast

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see the advantage of sand in sump. Bacteria will stack on each other and make their own surface area.

In 25 year mud/macro refugium, I converted to cryptic by removing Chaeto, prior to adding live rock, I stacked eggcrate in the mud to keep rock elevated above the MULM. I had bought 75G system used with 30G EcoSystem mud filter. In 25 years of operation, the depth increased 0.5”, felt spongy to the touch and is crawling with worms & stuff.

PS: I don’t use any mechanical filtration. Filter feeding invertebrate & anemones are your mechanical filters.

PSS: The 55G tank on top is < 2 years set up. It is skimmerless, sumpless and fishless: Sally Lightfoot crab and six peppermint shrimp are the apex predators in the tank. I add live phytoplankton, liquid seaweed, live mussels and ammonia.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bixby'sMenagerie

Bixby'sMenagerie

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a mud filter? Never heard of that one. Viral? Also how did you introduce all the extra microlife species into your tank? All my rock came from a local guy tearing a tank down so no idea what all critters are living in it aside from pods and bristleworms. And those dang zoa eating asterinas. I keep a melanarus wrasse so any other pests havnt made themselves apparent.

Nutramar Foods

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a mud filter? Never heard of that one. Viral? Also how did you introduce all the extra microlife species into your tank? All my rock came from a local guy tearing a tank down so no idea what all critters are living in it aside from pods and bristleworms. And those dang zoa eating asterinas. I keep a melanarus wrasse so any other pests havnt made themselves apparent.
This is my favorite way to briNG in diversity.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
SR
Back