+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sump.jpg

I'm attempting to convert a dual Durso to dual Herbie on a used tank I've picked up. I originally thought I could Tee the emergency drains from each overflow but have read it's a bad idea. I have 3 ports for drain lines for the sump. I'm reading each siphon line and emergency line needs to be submerged <1 inch in the water for a total of 4 lines submerged < 1". Any thoughts on how to achieve this with this sump? The three ports go into small drain chamber that then flow over into a 2 filter sock chamber (has a cover on it). Should I possible remove one of the filter socks and use it for the emergency drain inputs?

Thanks

Nutramar Foods

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dual herbie is definitely a bad idea, because you're essentially creating 2 overflows that are competing with each other and they both need to be tuned exactly the same (virtuallyimpossible).

I've never given any more thought to how to make 4 overflows equal 1 herbie or (possibly better) 1 bean animal.

It's quite possible to take both "full siphons" and Tee them together before the gate valve that way one valve controls both flows regardless of equality. And do the other 2 the same as an emergency. Or even better make one of the two emergencies an "open" and the other an "emergency" like a bean animal.

Something worth thinking about. And @BeanAnimal has been seen more frequently, he might lend an even better solution to this dilemma.

OP
OP
E

erm0715

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm certainly open to any ideas. The current set up on this tank is dual Durso so I'd like to reduce future noise and have a streamlined set up. Have done nothing so far aside from get it in the house so I have plenty of options. Currently it's dual overflows with 1.5" Durso and 1" return in each overflow. It's not plumbed at the moment as it's missing bulkhead fittings for 3 of the 4 bulkheads.

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The typical advice for dual overflows is to use one overflow box as the siphon and open channel (a herbie). The second overflow box for the emergency. Your forth standpipe can be a return.

You can put a small powerhead in the second box to keep circulation or fill it with sand for an in tank DSB.

OP
OP
E

erm0715

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The typical advice for dual overflows is to use one overflow box as the siphon and open channel (a herbie). The second overflow box for the emergency. Your forth standpipe can be a return.

You can put a small powerhead in the second box to keep circulation or fill it with sand for an in tank DSB.
Much appreciated! So if I'm getting this right: Overflow 1 = siphon channel and open channel ~0.5 to 1" below weir with trickle. Overflow 2 = emergency channel over water level and return line?

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep - I would set them up so that the water does not fall a long way into the box or it will be noisy. You can set the emergency somewhere 1/2" or so above normal operating level with a strainer. You don't want fish going down the glory hole in a flood condition, or playing skeeball.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Join the movement!
Back