Sump or Canister?

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is going through a soft reset. And I want to start with filtration.

Currently I have a canister filter which has done a good job. Maybe too good of a job and has been somewhat of a pain to keep up with

I am considering a sump system for my tank but I cannot drill the glass making it a bit more difficult to get water to the sump

I am also considering upgrading to a better canister filter like a fluval 407

Which option would be better and why?

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fluval 07 series are solid performers but they do have a habit of becoming leaky unless you change the silicone pretty regularly.
Even then you can find yourself swearing at them because they will continue to drip unless reassembled just right.
I have one on my discus tank but it sits in a big bucket full of cat litter with a a leak detector!
I'd favour eheim cannisters every time

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what your tank size is but I'm a fan of sumps. It's just so much easier IMO. Also you get some extra water volume and place to hide equipment. Change sox vs cleanings canister. Better yet you can add fleece roller. I ran a 150g and a 180g not drilled using hob overflows for several years. People will talk about hobs flooding and loosing syphon but most of those people have never ran them and are just repeating what they read. The only issue I had with hob overflows is if the return pump is pushing more water than the overflow can handle, that will flood obviously. A controllable DC pump or gate valve takes care of that risk. A lot depends on how dedicated you are the hobby and budget. Easiest because there is no diy plumbing and cheapest would be a new canister.

EDIT : I used to love my FX6s when I had freshwater

OP
OP
Fishn28

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what your tank size is but I'm a fan of sumps. It's just so much easier IMO. Also you get some extra water volume and place to hide equipment. Change sox vs cleanings canister. Better yet you can add fleece roller. I ran a 150g and a 180g not drilled using hob overflows for several years. People will talk about hobs flooding and loosing syphon but most of those people have never ran them and are just repeating what they read. The only issue I had with hob overflows is if the return pump is pushing more water than the overflow can handle, that will flood obviously. A controllable DC pump or gate valve takes care of that risk. A lot depends on how dedicated you are the hobby and budget. Easiest because there is no diy plumbing and cheapest would be a new canister.

EDIT : I used to love my FX6s when I had freshwater
I have a 75 gallon tank. What size sump would you recommend?

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a 30 gallon long as sump years ago. A 40g breeder makes an awesome sump. I Think there are baffle kits for them. A nice acrylic sump would be awesome but they seem over priced for something that isn't too hard to diy.

EDIT: Do your research if you do decide on a sump. There's some thought and planning that has to go into it to make sure the sump can handle the extra volume of water when the return pump is off. There are plenty of folks here that can help. I'm not much at calculating things. My last sump was a 125g tank and large enough to handle the volume without any math on my part lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fishn28

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a 30 gallon long as sump years ago. A 40g breeder makes an awesome sump. I Think there are baffle kits for them. A nice acrylic sump would be awesome but they seem over priced for something that isn't too hard to diy.
Not sure a 40 would fit under my tank

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back