Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a while back I was growing beautiful chaeto in my sump but I was also getting insane amounts of other types of nasty algae that was getting out of control. I was using a LED bulb, 5000k that was 1150 lumens.

I have a skimmer going now but I'd like to do chaeto again because I'm getting GHA and I think it's because I pulled the chaeto. What kind of bulb should I use (it's a 10g sump) to avoid algae growing everywhere including in/on my skimmer? Also how can I prevent algae from growing on my skimmer and filter sock?

grhppCJ.jpg

BRS
Top Shelf Aquatics

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats wrong with algae growing in the sump is my question. I belive thats kinda the point. you can go with a smaller phillips par 30 5000k bulb(its a spot lens not a broad spread), black crate, black acrylic etc etc. I still think its going to be an uphill battle.
I have(had, just upgraded) twist compacts and led that blasted light everywhere. I don't get algae in the skimmer socks etc, I get coralline, sponges and such in those chambers but the refugium 2 inches away is growing great and has all the sometimes funk or growth etc..

OP
OP
WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more algae in your sump, the less in your display!

I was growing nasty black stringy algae on my filter sock. Also I don't want algae growing in my skimmer haha. I think I'm going to get some plexiglass and spray paint it with Krylon Fusion or plasti dip and use that has a divider to block light from hitting the filter sock and skimmer.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was growing nasty black stringy algae on my filter sock. Also I don't want algae growing in my skimmer haha. I think I'm going to get some plexiglass and spray paint it with Krylon Fusion or plasti dip and use that has a divider to block light from hitting the filter sock and skimmer.
yea, new tank maybe too..... I do wonder why that is. I do have a pretty high return rate.
Man Id feel better about black acrylic. Yea, im paranoid.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don't do that. Just build a black acrylic baffle between the 2 departments and use silicone

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I"m not sure how fish safe plastidip is and if it will withstand saltwater. It doesn't have to be black. Any non clear acrylic or pvc will work for you.

I looked up the manufacture's MSDS for Plasti Dip and they claim it's inert and non-toxic when cured. Manufacturer also states it is food safe. It's just rubber. I could think of many foreign materials that we use in our systems that sound really bad - super glue, plastic, silicone, rubber, acrylic, PVC, etc.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back