Sump flow causing bubbles

reely989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I think I've narrowed down my micro bubble issue to sump flow. I'm running a bashsea pro 60 sumps. I've troubleshooted pretty much everything and I'm left with water just moving too fast through the sump. It's around 2000gph. I'm trying to devise a better bubble trap in the last baffle. I have foam there now but I think it's too loose and water is going around it. I'll take some videos and post later. Any advice for getting rid of these things? Any strategic wavemaker placements that would help them get to the surface quicker?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you run a skimmer? That could be adding to the bubbles as well as the flow.

Also, restricting the drain somewhat to eliminate pulling as much air can help. If there's a gate valve or ball valve, closing it just slightly will create less air trapped in the water from cascading. Just be careful not to restrict it too much or the water level in your tank can start raising.

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both @tbrown and @Reefering1 are correct. You are either pulling air into your siphon or are creating the bubbles at the interface from the siphon tube and sump. Address that and you should be good.
And/or the skimmer. Look at the output with a strong flashlight and you will see if the bubbles are coming from there

OP
OP
R

reely989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And/or the skimmer. Look at the output with a strong flashlight and you will see if the bubbles are coming from there

I do see some bubbles there. It's a reef octopus 250 INT. Think putting a sock over the outlet would help?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You can likely turn down the air and up the water to match the level. It sounds like you have too much air running to get the air where you want in the neck instead of using the water?

OP
OP
R

reely989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can likely turn down the air and up the water to match the level. It sounds like you have too much air running to get the air where you want in the neck instead of using the water?

Maybe so. I'm running an air pump into it for ozone. Maybe I can try it with the pump off. Just not sure it'll be able to pull enough air without a pump. Worth a try I guess.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back